Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx move limits & close questions

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

AmEx move limits & close questions

So I finally decided that after 15 years, I really have no use for the Blue From American Express card.  AmEx will only PC to other MR-earning cards, and neither of the EveryDay cards would be useful to me since I am diving deeply into SPG moving forward (also I am an AU on an ED that we only opened for the BT offer last year) - it is not worth it at all for me to move my entire spend to an ED or EDP to get the 20% or 50% bonus.

I just tried to use chat to move the remaining $5k of my Blue to the SPG and close it.  I thought, like Chase, that as long as there had been no activity on the account for a few months that this was possible?  Last payment was 8 months ago.  I was told in chat that they could only move $4500 and then close.  I could just do the same myself under Credit Management and keep it open for AAoOA purposes.  

What is the current thought on low credit lines existing on credit reports with otherwise high limits?  If I kept it open, I'd probably only move another $4k over to leave $1k.  During a manual review, will the high balance somewhere in the $3500 range with a $1000 limit really look bad?  Once the card is closed would it look bad on a manual review to see $3500 high bal with a $1000 limit, or should I just move the $4500 now so that the account shows closed with a $5k limit?  Or is the person I did the chat with misinformed and I should just call to do this?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx move limits & close questions

AmEx is now requiring that $1k be left on a card, not 500. This is a recent change. But as far as I know, you lose that limit once you close the card.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

AmEx is now requiring that $1k be left on a card, not 500. This is a recent change. But as far as I know, you lose that limit once you close the card.

YMMV...I closed out a BCE and moved all but $500 over to the BCP just last week.

Message 3 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The offer I had in chat was to move $4500 and close the card, so that would have left $500 since I already moved $4,000 to the SPG before I even got the card in my online account.  It was going to let me move all but $500 then and still says I can do so.  Honestly, the loss of $500 isn't really that big of a deal - I added exactly $50,000 between the SPG, Power Cash Rewards, Flagship Rewards and the Lowe's CLI over the past month.  My concern is really whether it matters on a manual review if it shows that the card was closed with a substantially lower limit than the highest reported balance, or that I have such a low line (if I reduced it to $1000 and kept it open) when the majority of my cards are in the $10-20k range.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see how that would even make a difference.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, that would not look bad in a manual review.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.