Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx pre-approval soft pull site

tag
hyprble
Regular Contributor

AmEx pre-approval soft pull site

Hello,

I have a question about the AmEx pre-approval site - I've often tried clicking on the preapproval links on these boards and every time I click on not a cardmember like people suggest, after typing in my required information, they force me to log into my AmEx account (I currently have a JetBlue AmEx).  Is there another way to know what I'm "pre-approved" for?  I sometimes look at the "learn about our cards" and "view our card offers" links, but they offer me most of the cards (and same for my bf who doesn't have the best credit) so I think that's just a listing of all the cards.  Anyone else have the same issues?

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx pre-approval soft pull site

Amex's site is very weird in this respect.  I have only been pre-approved twice since I obtained by card in October 2010.  Both times were a few days after my statement dropped, and the pre-approval was gone the very next day both times. 

You will know if you are pre-approved by logging into your account and clicking on the "Additional Cards" link.  If you are pre-approved, on the next page on the right of the screen it will say "Pre-approved for you". If not, it will be a link to "Refer Friend & Earn Rewards".

I personally don't think the pre-approval is any indicator once you are already a cardmember.  I was just approved 3 days ago for Blue Cash with a $3600 CL and no pre-approval.  I obtained my Green back in October as I said.

Message 2 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Amex loves to give good customers more cards and the fact that you already have the harder to obtain "credit card" vs charge card and your score is over 750... I think you can pick anything you want to your hearts content.

Remember 1 pull for all applications in 1 day.

Message 3 of 14
hyprble
Regular Contributor

Thanks!

Oh wow, one pull for all applications in a day?  I might wait for a targeted Gold card offer - will it look bad if I also apply for one of their no-annual fee cards at the same time?  I don't want to look like I'm getting too overzealous

Message 4 of 14
smc733
Valued Contributor

Amex needs to get a new team of web developers...

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 5 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@hyprble wrote:

Thanks!

Oh wow, one pull for all applications in a day?  I might wait for a targeted Gold card offer - will it look bad if I also apply for one of their no-annual fee cards at the same time?  I don't want to look like I'm getting too overzealous

I think you would be fine with a Premier Gold app and a no af credit card product in one day.

What's your limit on Jetblue?

how long have you had it?

have you asked for an increase?

Message 6 of 14
hyprble
Regular Contributor

On second thought, although my fico's decent, I don't know if my salary's enough for them for as much debt as I'm carrying.  I make about 50k/yr but currently have about 17k in cc debt w/30% utilization and 3k in an installment loan.  I've had my card since 2006 and have been PIF monthly since early 2010 running anywhere from 500-1400 a month through it.

Message 7 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would ask for CLI.... 3x current... if you get that you can apply for other cards... amex likes you!

Message 8 of 14
hyprble
Regular Contributor

I forgot to mention my card has a 2k limit.  I don't recall ever asking for an increase.  Maybe once if I did.

Message 9 of 14
hyprble
Regular Contributor

I just wanted to confirm with someone else here that it seems pre-approval offers come up a few days after your statement cuts on the amex site.  I logged in and finally noticed I was "pre-approved" for Platinum and Gold.  I guess I'll wait until I get a good offer in the mail to apply for a charge product.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.