Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx still back dating

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx still back dating

@OmarGB9 wrote:
Lol okay let's get all technical. Because people really use the term "account opened date" around here. I think we know what OP meant with their post.

Agree.  Ridiculous to argue over semantics.

Message 11 of 20
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@sjt wrote:

Unfortunately they dont back date on credit reports. They will reflect the date you obtained your first Amex card on your card and when you login and you will see "Member Since" date that reflects the year you obtained your first Amex Card.

Live and learn. I didn't realize AmEx had stopped backdating.  I guess I got in right under the wire.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:
Lol okay let's get all technical. Because people really use the term "account opened date" around here. I think we know what OP meant with their post.

I disagree.  They are 2 different things.  People come here for answers.  I am sure most people found this site by googling a question at some point.  While those of us who are active contributors know the difference, the majority who come here aren't active contributors and I think it is important to point out that they aren't the same thing..  They are similar, sure, but the difference is important.  American Express will backdate your Member Since date.  That is true.  Previously, they would backdate your Account Opening date to match your member since date.  But, as we all know, that is no longer the case.

So instead of assuming everything is an argument, just take a deep breath and relax.  No reason to get offended by my attempt for clarity.  Anyway, I look forward to the FCR email from the mods and my "christmas vacation" because inevitably, I make one comment that is construed as an argument and I get a vacation.  Merry Christmas.

Message 13 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

It's not arguing if we are setting the expectation for what certain language terms mean.

FICO implies one thing, FAKO another.

"AMEX Backdating" implies a benefit to the card applicant with a new long-dated credit entry on their credit file, which from past AMEX actions may have been providing a sudden 20-year additional account.

Member Since Date is a useless piece of marketing by AMEX which has no implications for anyone other than it makes the cardholder feel good when they look at their card and on-line statement. FWIW, my Citi Diamond Preferred has a "Member Since" date, as does my BofA plain old AMEX, "06" but that's 'cause the account was opened in 2012 and 2006, respectively.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

It's not arguing if we are setting the expectation for what certain language terms mean.

FICO implies one thing, FAKO another.

"AMEX Backdating" implies a benefit to the card applicant with a new long-dated credit entry on their credit file, which from past AMEX actions may have been providing a sudden 20-year additional account.

Member Since Date is a useless piece of marketing by AMEX which has no implications for anyone other than it makes the cardholder feel good when they look at their card and on-line statement. FWIW, my Citi Diamond Preferred has a "Member Since" date, as does my BofA plain old AMEX, "06" but that's 'cause the account was opened in 2012 and 2006, respectively.

+1

I'm in the same situation... my "Member Since Date" is 1995, but both my accounts report the actual opening date of April 2015 on my credit reports.

If you want to get really technical, the "Member Since Date" isn't even "backdated"... it's simply reported (displayed) accurately from Amex's point of view, since (again, technically speaking) your MSD reflects the first year you were an Amex member. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate OP attempting to bring good cheer to the forums. However, the active community here knows that backdating refers to the account open date on the credit report, not the Member Since date. We get this kind of statement about once every month or so, and the reaction is the same every time.
Message 16 of 20
taxi818
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

no, sorry, that's only for the "Member Since" date that prints on the card, which will have a nice little "95" on the card.

When DW checks the credit report, it will still say whatever year the card was apped, 2015? not 1995

+1

Message 17 of 20
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I appreciate OP attempting to bring good cheer to the forums. However, the active community here knows that backdating refers to the account open date on the credit report, not the Member Since date. We get this kind of statement about once every month or so, and the reaction is the same every time.

I obviously was NOT trying to start a "fight" just reporting what I observed on the DW's newly opened account. My single account was established several years ago as per an agreement with AmEx to maintain a single account - MY member page says "Since 1978" my CARD says member since 1978, my credit report says since 1978. The Wife's just established account is too new to be listed on her credit reports yet, but her member since is 1995.

I just noted what I observed - as far as folks getting their panties in a wad - I have no idea why that happened in reaction to simple observations.

Message 18 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I obviously was NOT trying to start a "fight" just reporting what I observed on the DW's newly opened account. My single account was established several years ago as per an agreement with AmEx to maintain a single account - MY member page says "Since 1978" my CARD says member since 1978, my credit report says since 1978. The Wife's just established account is too new to be listed on her credit reports yet, but her member since is 1995.

I just noted what I observed - as far as folks getting their panties in a wad - I have no idea why that happened in reaction to simple observations.

Well, it took a strange turn, but as someone observed, we see this once a month or so.   If it really still backdated it would be a huge deal to many, and the first such post did generate some interest.    But it's clear that while the "real" MSD date is reported on new accounts, the all important CR isn't backdated.

Message 19 of 20
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@lokobo wrote:
Damnit OP. I got hopes up when I saw this thread title lol

LOL

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.