Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmExpress says its ok to ask for ID

tag
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: AmExpress says its ok to ask for ID

That's one of the reasons I like me Citi. TYP, it's got my photo and signature on the front.
Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 31 of 34
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:
I.e. Having an untrained clerk check the id does very little.  Neither does checking the signature of course.

Of course comparing signatures for a reasonable match is a lot easier than attempting to authenticate the validity of an ID. Besides suppressing card usage, it also adds unnecessary time to the transaction. If merchants suspect fraud, call to make a code 10 authorization request. Fortunately it is an extremely rare situation that only small businesses seem to implement.

Message 32 of 34
john398
Senior Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

OP- very sorry for the unrelated, off topic posts to your thread

no reason to be sorry, I am glad to read all of it

Message 33 of 34
Open123
Super Contributor

While not accepting a card based solely a person not agreeing to provide ID is prohibited by the Visa/MC merchant agreement, American Express has no "clear" stance on the issue, except that AmEx cardmembers must be treated in the same manner as those using other cards.  In other words, if the store's policy is to check IDs for everyone, then it's acceptable to check IDs of those using Amex cards.

However, unless a Merchant doesn't accept Visa/MC, they can't refuse to accept an Amex soely on a person not providing ID, since the policy must be uniform.  Of course, if the Merchant doens't accept Visa/MC, then they are free to refuse an Amex purchase if one refuses to show ID, which isn't prohibited in the Amex Merchant agreement.

Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.