Valued Contributor

Amalgamated Bank: no renewal credit card

I have a MC from Amalgamated Bank, I got in the late 80's when it was one of the lower APR cards around.  I haven't used it for years.  About 6 months ago, they sent me a letter saying that as I haven't used it for so long, they would not be sending me a new card when my current when expired (which happened at the end of Aug).   I didn't really care, even though it was my oldest open credit line, and it certainly made sense from the bank view.

But when I got my credit report, I noticed that it is marked as still open, and then last week then sent me a statement along with the standard privacy policy, as they do each year.  This also shows the account open, with the existing CL.  So it looks like they literally didn't send a renewal card but kept the account open, which I guess is a win-win.  Have others seen this type of thing.  It adds new meaning to "Card Not Present" transaction, more "Card is not present anywhere"!

Valued Contributor

Re: Amalgamated Bank: no renewal credit card

Ha!  I wonder if/when that will eventually catch up to itself.  That's like the polar opposite of my BOA CC I had that I let lapse during my credit idiocy phase.  It lapsed to 90 days and they closed it, but before they charged it off or sent it out for collections, I agreed to keep paying it.  So I made payments on a card that reported as closed for three years, and they kept updating the TL to show the payments and account status.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Valued Contributor

Re: Amalgamated Bank: no renewal credit card

And in the mail today, some "convenience" checks (1.99 APR for 6 months, 3% fee) , so I guess they really do think it is open.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.