Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amalgamated Bank: no renewal credit card

tag
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Amalgamated Bank: no renewal credit card

I have a MC from Amalgamated Bank, I got in the late 80's when it was one of the lower APR cards around.  I haven't used it for years.  About 6 months ago, they sent me a letter saying that as I haven't used it for so long, they would not be sending me a new card when my current when expired (which happened at the end of Aug).   I didn't really care, even though it was my oldest open credit line, and it certainly made sense from the bank view.

But when I got my credit report, I noticed that it is marked as still open, and then last week then sent me a statement along with the standard privacy policy, as they do each year.  This also shows the account open, with the existing CL.  So it looks like they literally didn't send a renewal card but kept the account open, which I guess is a win-win.  Have others seen this type of thing.  It adds new meaning to "Card Not Present" transaction, more "Card is not present anywhere"!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Re: Amalgamated Bank: no renewal credit card

Ha!  I wonder if/when that will eventually catch up to itself.  That's like the polar opposite of my BOA CC I had that I let lapse during my credit idiocy phase.  It lapsed to 90 days and they closed it, but before they charged it off or sent it out for collections, I agreed to keep paying it.  So I made payments on a card that reported as closed for three years, and they kept updating the TL to show the payments and account status.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 2 of 3
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: Amalgamated Bank: no renewal credit card

And in the mail today, some "convenience" checks (1.99 APR for 6 months, 3% fee) , so I guess they really do think it is open.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.