cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Chase 5% on Gift cards? Discover?

tag
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Amazon Chase 5% on Gift cards? Discover?

Will you earn the 5% CB on the Amazon card, as well as discover? I got both, want to know if I should start getting gift cards on amazon.... thanks! 

(I didn’t see anything on website, have not gotten terms and conditions atm....)

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon Chase 5% on Gift cards? Discover?

@Gregory1776 wrote:

Will you earn the 5% CB on the Amazon card, as well as discover? I got both, want to know if I should start getting gift cards on amazon.... thanks! 

(I didn’t see anything on website, have not gotten terms and conditions atm....)

Yes

Message 2 of 8
hsspres
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gregory1776 wrote:

Yes

And this isn't considered Manufactured Spend? Wow, that's good to know.

FICOs 6/17 - EQ 751, EX 749, TU 760
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@hsspres wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gregory1776 wrote:

Yes

And this isn't considered Manufactured Spend? Wow, that's good to know.

No, it’s not.

Message 4 of 8
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Buying gift cards is not manufactured spending, provided you use the gift cards for shopping or dining or whatever.  But buying gift cards, then using the gift cards to buy money orders, depositing the money orders in a bank account, and then using that bank account to pay off the credit card that purchased the gift cards is definitely manufactured spending.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shouldn't be any problem, though I have heard reports of an occasional shutdown. Remember that the lenders are probably paying the store to get information about what you bought. Then again, I maxed out my 5% (Then doubled) at home improvement stores on gift cards.

Message 6 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I reload my Amazon gift card most months. Then I use the gift points when my Chase Amazon card statement is about to cut. That cuts down on last minute pending charges, gives me control over my statement balance, and generally gives me plenty of points if I want to make an Amazon purchase or two during that time.

The general rule is that anything that shows up under "Orders" in your Amazon account will earn the 5% reward. Gift card purchases are included there. You can also confirm this by checking your credit card statement.

Amazon Prime Now orders also earn 5%, but they show up under your Prime Now orders rather than your general Amazon orders.

Excluded from the 5% reward is when a third party site offers Amazon Pay.

Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Buying gift cards is not manufactured spending, provided you use the gift cards for shopping or dining or whatever.  But buying gift cards, then using the gift cards to buy money orders, depositing the money orders in a bank account, and then using that bank account to pay off the credit card that purchased the gift cards is definitely manufactured spending.

While this is true, most of it is invisible to the issuer.   What they see (in true MS) is just large volumes of purchase, perhaps many times the declared income.    If the margin was there (which it isn't) you could do a similar thing buying retail cards with the card discount and selling them to a card reseller.   

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.