Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Chase Visa Good or Bad?

tag
Guvnor
Established Member

Amazon Chase Visa Good or Bad?

Just aboit to make a $125 purchase on Amazon and they're offering me $30 off if i apply for the Amazon Chase Visa. Is it a good card to have?

Matt 

FICO (Discover) = 757
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon Chase Visa Good or Bad?

@Guvnor wrote:

Just aboit to make a $125 purchase on Amazon and they're offering me $30 off if i apply for the Amazon Chase Visa. Is it a good card to have?

Matt 

Ok. Not great. For Amazon, the Amazon store card is better (5% with prime, other perks I think), but it's a store card, not a Visa. The Chase Amazon you can use anywhere they take Visa. But IIRC it's just 1% for most things, I seem to remember drug stores and or department stores have some better % rewards. I opened mine while ordering something on Amazon years ago, but closed it and rolled the CL into another Chase card last year. So it sort of depends where you are credit-wise. $30 isn't a great reward if it isn't a card you want/need. 

Message 2 of 22
JSS3
Valued Contributor

I have the Sallie Mae offering 5% on Amazon purchases. Capped at 750 but more than enough for me.
I have the Amazon store card offering 5% on purchases. Uncapped.
I have Discover with the 5% Amazon category. Capped.
I have plenty of Visas.

My Chase Amazon offering an uncapped 3% would be obsolete if not for the fact that it's great about offering BTs when I truly need them. Chase Amazon = BT card.

It all comes down to your needs and how the rewards compare to whatever else you currently have. Looking for 2% on gas, restaurants, and drugstores? Amazon Visa offers that too.

Message 3 of 22
Guvnor
Established Member

I need a CLI on my chase freedom so it might be worth getting it then moving the balance over?

FICO (Discover) = 757
Message 4 of 22
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Yes, moving the limits would be a good reason.
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guvnor wrote:

I need a CLI on my chase freedom so it might be worth getting it then moving the balance over?

@I don't know if you are going to get a great SL with the amazon...if you want a CLI, look at apping for another rewards product from Chase, like Hyatt etc. I've been reading alot of $8K plus SL @ approval. AF waived 1st year and you are going to burn a HP anyway, make it count. Just my opinion because once you get a Chase product, getting more out of them is pulling teeth. 

Message 6 of 22
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

The Amazon chase also offers 3 points for restaurants/fast food.. which is similar to the AARP except only usable at Amazon. If you view this as not mattering, it's a good thing. (For me, I use Amazon currency like cash, so it's a plus for me. (However, don't really need a 3% card for food as I have a 5% one.
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kenny wrote:
The Amazon chase also offers 3 points for restaurants/fast food.. which is similar to the AARP except only usable at Amazon. If you view this as not mattering, it's a good thing. (For me, I use Amazon currency like cash, so it's a plus for me. (However, don't really need a 3% card for food as I have a 5% one.

You made me sad I closed my Amazon reading this, but it's not 3 for anything but Amazon: "Earn 3% Back at Amazon.com, 2% Back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores and 1% Back everywhere else. A $30 Amazon.com Gift Card will be instantly loaded into your Amazon.com account upon approval."

I used to get 0% offers on my Amazon, but they dried up at some point. And with other 2% cards and 5% options on Amazon, this became redundant for me. 

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the Chase Amazon Visa and the Amazon Store card.

I ended up cancelling the Visa. Toy limit, hard pull inquiries to grow, rewards weren't as good for it's main purpose: Amazon.

I had other cards for spending elsewhere. Plus the store card is Synchrony, so easy soft pull CLIs.

Aside from the 5% of the store card, the every day 0% financing is wonderful!

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied when it was an $80 offer in November. With that and 30% off I got a pair of ECCO shoes for $7. That was nice but other than buying a pizza, I haven't used it.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.