Did you mean: 

Amazon Financing

tag
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Re: Amazon Financing

@XxRaVeNxX wrote:

@SpeedingWheels wrote:

Your payment gets applied to the promotional purchase FIRST, thus any additional purcheses you make will generate interest charges. 

This is how they get you. So if you're going to make a large promo purchase either resolve to retire the card until that is paid off or know you're going to pay interst on new purchases. 

Thanks! If this is true...you answered my question...

I am almost pretty sure that with the new credit card act, any payment gets applied to the balance with the HIGHER interest rate first. If your promotional purchase is still at 0%, they should apply the payment to any other purchases with a higher interest rate. I would definitely call them to verify but I think that should be the case.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 11 of 16
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

P.S I forgot to specify that this applies to payment ABOVE your minimum payment.

The credit card company can decide to apply the minimum payment whereever they want but ANY payment above the minimum MUST be applied to the highest interest balance FIRST

The other exception is the last two billing cycles of a deferred interest balance. All payments made during the last two billing cycles will be applied to that deferred interest balance

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Message 12 of 16
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

@XxRaVeNxX wrote:

@SpeedingWheels wrote:

Your payment gets applied to the promotional purchase FIRST, thus any additional purcheses you make will generate interest charges. 

This is how they get you. So if you're going to make a large promo purchase either resolve to retire the card until that is paid off or know you're going to pay interst on new purchases. 

Thanks! If this is true...you answered my question...

Per the CARD act, the payment amount that's OVER the minimum gets applied to the balances(s) with the highest rates. If you only pay the minimum, it will get applied to the promo only. The piece below is from creditcarddotcom in direct reference to this:

Highest interest balances paid first: When consumers have accounts that carry different interest rates for different types of purchases (i.e., cash advances, regular purchases, balance transfers or ATM withdrawals), payments in excess of the minimum amount due must go to balances with higher interest rates first. A common practice in the industry had been to apply all amounts over the minimum monthly payments to the lowest-interest balances first -- thus extending the time it takes to pay off higher-interest rate balances.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 13 of 16
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@SpeedingWheels wrote:

This right here answers the OP's question.

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 14 of 16
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Hope this helps OP about the payment allocation. I looked it up and it is true that any payments over the minimum gets applied to the highest interst rate first.

http://www.bankrate.com/financing/credit-cards/clarification-on-payment-allocation-rule/

Message 15 of 16
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

@XxRaVeNxX wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

balance is a balance is a balance.  You still owe it.  They'll just deduct your finance offer purchase out of the balance, at time % should be applied from other purchases.

Not what I asked. I trying to make sure payments are made correctly so that it stays in the current financing timeframe and they dont try to hit me with the interest

Just to be on the safe side, Id just make sure that the balance from the financing is paid in full on the 6th month...The rest of the balance from other purchases should not be affected as long as you paid the 800 by month 6, the other 300 or so that you rack up should just be on regular interest and they should be able to tell.

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.