cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon/GEMB not using FICO and should I recon?

tag
dude11
Regular Contributor

Amazon/GEMB not using FICO and should I recon?

Hello,

I recently applied for the Amazon store card and I was denied. Here are what the reasons were for denial.

Your Credit Score:  408

Date:  09/05/2011

Scores range from a low of 300 to a high of 620.

Key factors that adversely affected your credit score:

TOO MANY ACCOUNTS 30 OR MORE DAYS PAST DUE IN LAST 12 MONTHS
ACCOUNTS IN COLLECTION OR 60 DAYS PAST DUE OR ADVERSE PUBLIC RECORDS
HIGHEST RATIO OF REVOLVING BALANCE TO CREDIT LIMIT IS TOO HIGH
NUMBER OF MONTHS SINCE 30 DAYS PAST DUE ON A CREDIT ACCOUNT IS TOO LOW

Obviously they are not using a FICO score or unless they gave me this crap just to say that they are complying with the new Card ACT by providing a score. Now what about if I recon?

I only have one account that shows a past due amount which is a BOA CO that I am currently making payments on. As of the end of this month I plan on making a huge payment on it that will bring the balance down to about 87% of what the original balance was. This account is only being reported by BOA and not a third party CA. Also this is the only account with a current balance or past due amount.

As far as the comment "HIGHEST RATIO OF REVOLVING BALANCE TO CREDIT LIMIT IS TOO HIGH" I believe what is hurting me is once again this account since the balance being reported is currently almost maxing out the credit limit. All of my other current cards are under 50% or more of UTL.

Should I even try to recon, and if so, does anyone have a number? There is no number listed on the denial letter.

Thanks for your assistance!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
dharalex
Established Contributor

Re: Amazon/GEMB not using FICO and should I recon?

Maybe check your inq on your CR? They should have a 1800 number to call. From their report, I would try to speak to them first before trying again...

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
ptkdude
Regular Contributor

@dude11 wrote:

Hello,

I recently applied for the Amazon store card and I was denied. Here are what the reasons were for denial.

Your Credit Score:  408

Date:  09/05/2011

Scores range from a low of 300 to a high of 620.

Key factors that adversely affected your credit score:

TOO MANY ACCOUNTS 30 OR MORE DAYS PAST DUE IN LAST 12 MONTHS
ACCOUNTS IN COLLECTION OR 60 DAYS PAST DUE OR ADVERSE PUBLIC RECORDS
HIGHEST RATIO OF REVOLVING BALANCE TO CREDIT LIMIT IS TOO HIGH
NUMBER OF MONTHS SINCE 30 DAYS PAST DUE ON A CREDIT ACCOUNT IS TOO LOW

Obviously they are not using a FICO score or unless they gave me this crap just to say that they are complying with the new Card ACT by providing a score. Now what about if I recon?

I only have one account that shows a past due amount which is a BOA CO that I am currently making payments on. As of the end of this month I plan on making a huge payment on it that will bring the balance down to about 87% of what the original balance was. This account is only being reported by BOA and not a third party CA. Also this is the only account with a current balance or past due amount.

As far as the comment "HIGHEST RATIO OF REVOLVING BALANCE TO CREDIT LIMIT IS TOO HIGH" I believe what is hurting me is once again this account since the balance being reported is currently almost maxing out the credit limit. All of my other current cards are under 50% or more of UTL.

Should I even try to recon, and if so, does anyone have a number? There is no number listed on the denial letter.

Thanks for your assistance!

I'm confused about your current balances.  You say "Also this is the only account with a current balance...", but then you say "All of my other current cards are under 50% or more of UTL.  

Additionally, if they aren't using FICO there's really no way to know what they consider a "too high" utilization, as each scoring model could set this at a different rate.  FICO would consider 49% utilization to be high, as I believe it likes less than 30%, and prefers less than 10%.

Message 3 of 10
dude11
Regular Contributor

Sorry I meant this account is currently my only CO account with a balance. All of the other CO's have been paid and no balances are reporting for those. This account however I am still paying for which is my last CO that I still owe.

Message 4 of 10
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

under the new law they have to provide you with a credit score and it doesn't have to be the score they used to deny you with but as far as the one they used to evaluate you it was either the fico or the vantage score

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy-378 wrote:

under the new law they have to provide you with a credit score and it doesn't have to be the score they used to deny you with but as far as the one they used to evaluate you it was either the fico or the vantage score

As for the bolded...are you sure about that?

And the score they used was neither FICO nor Vantage. FICO (AFAIK all 13 or so models) range from 300-850, Vantage is from 501-990.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy-378 wrote:

Not true. Just the opposite. They HAVE TO provide you with a score they used as a factor to deny you. There is no requirement, however, for them to use a FICO scoring model.

Message 7 of 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

Sounds like some more rebuilding/ tweaking may be in order and perhaps a scured card with a CU fora jump start?  GEMB doesn't do recon, if not mistaken.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 10
dude11
Regular Contributor

@score_building wrote:

Sounds like some more rebuilding/ tweaking may be in order and perhaps a scured card with a CU fora jump start?  GEMB doesn't do recon, if not mistaken.

As far as rebuilding I'm working on it. I currently have 2 Cap One cards (which one of them is secured), US Bank Secured, Amex Zync ($500 w/Autopay), and Orchard Bank Platinum I think it is.

Message 9 of 10
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

@score_building wrote:

Not mistaken. Mere mortals can't override decisions made by the giant GEMB computer. Smiley Tongue

No apps/new accts since 2011

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***
***FICO TRANSUNION 822***

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.