cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Gift Card purchase using chase freedom or Discover it DO GET 5% CASH BACK

tag
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Amazon Gift Card purchase using chase freedom or Discover it DO GET 5% CASH BACK

Hi guys, I want to buy a camera on Amazon, but my credit limit is quite low, since I am still a grad student and just new to credit cards. I want to buy around 2500 Amazon gift cards using Freedom and Discover it together to Max the 5% cash back. But can the Amazon gift card earn 5% for both cards? I know gift cards at department store will work, but how about Amazon? 

It is urgent question, Pl help me out, since I really need to make the purchase for today to avoid minus balance (-XX) dollars on my credit card, reasons can be found here

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Help-regarding-quot-Over-Credit-Limit-quot-with-Discove...

Update: Confirmed with Discover(Customer Cute Guy), gift cards from Amazon.com can get 5% cash back. 

Freedom also earn 5% for gift cards from Amazon.com  links here https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/faq#B5  

Thanks for the info provided by takeshi74 and all other people!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: About Amazon Gift card purchase using chase freedom and Discover it

The great thing about Amazon is you can use credit card and gift cards to purchase the item. I've experience the 5% with Amazon payments on my discover, but never tried GCs with Discover or Freedom so I can't speak to that. GL! I do hope someone more knowledgeable comes on! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 11
Closingracer
Established Member

I believe it does for Amazon gift cards on the Discover it card (Not 100% sure ). I recently bought an amazon gift card with my discover card and it shows as online on the POS Mode Description so i am fairly certain it will for the Discover it card. I don't have the Chase Freedom card  ( I want it though) so i can't tell you how it would work but it should be since it is coded the  same no?

Message 3 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

The terms are always the place to check for questions like this.  The FAQ for the Freedom states that the following are excluded from earning 5%:

Gift cards purchased at any locations other than the department stores on the inclusion list.

...but I don't see anything about gift cards purchased through Amazon so far.  The Amazon inclusion column lists:

Amazon.com
Amazon Prime Subscriptions
Amazon Fresh Orders
Amazon Local
Amazon.com Magazines
Amazon Digital Downloads

FWIW, Million Mile Secrets states that they do qualify as far as Freedom is concerned.  I'll leave researching further (including Discover) to the OP.  If you're in a rush then take the iniative and dig into the source material versus waiting for forum replies.  You'd want to validate and corrobate what anyone says anyway.

Message 4 of 11
Closingracer
Established Member

I don't think amazon codes a gift card purchase differently then say buying a book from them
Message 5 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Scratch some of what I said earlier.  Here you go -- this is really the end of my digging:

Q. What types of merchants are in the Amazon.com category?
A. Amazon.com
All purchases you make through the checkout at Amazon.com, including digital downloads, Amazon.com Gift Cards, Amazon Fresh orders and Amazon Prime subscriptions are included and items sold by third party merchants through Amazon.com's marketplace.
Message 6 of 11
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Hi Kenney, I just called the Nice guy at Discover, and he told me DIscover is 100% good for 5% cash on Amazon gift card.

Message 7 of 11
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

DIscover can get 5%, just comfirmed with them.

Message 8 of 11
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Hi, I just talked with Discover , they say gift card from Amazon is OK. And I did check the terms of Chase yesterday, there is a line here

Under the term

Select Department Stores RelatedExclusions: 

"Gift cards purchased at any locations other than the department stores on the inclusion list." 

Doest that mean if I get Macy's gift card at a  "inclusion list store " likeMacy's phisical store, I can get 5% cash back? 

However, Amazon is not under the list "Top Select Department Stores".  

Really confused about that term page

Message 9 of 11
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Yes, the transactions only says Amazon.com with $$.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.