Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Issues and the Chase Amazon Rewards Card

tag
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Amazon Issues and the Chase Amazon Rewards Card

@kdm31091 wrote:

I, too, am a little confused about abandoning Amazon over the policy change. If you shopped there often before, you obviously felt you were getting a good value. Now because of this change, you won't shop there?

To me, Amazon isn't by far always the cheapest way to get items; it's more about convenience, I think, for a lot of people. You pay more for convenience in most circumstances, generally, so I can kind of understand if they don't want to price match.

Agree.  I thought this was about price match with others.  I.e., I buy Wellness Cat Food and almond milk for the price drop (subscribe and save).  While not the cheapest option, I am disabled and unable to drive.  So it is delivered (great for bulk orders cat litter).  I am a prime member, so the price usually does not change between order time and delivery, I generally do not go back and check the prices.  

That being said, I highly doubt this is a real change.  You have the option of returning the item in the first 30 days for free.  If the price difference is substantial, just order new one and return old one (for fulfilled, reverse procedure).  If it is a marketplace seller, they never price matched on that.  If you received a price match, then you were lucky.  For items sold and fulfilled by Amazon, they KNOW you can return and reorder, so I have always said I will return and replace, they give credit (fire TV game edition comes to mind).  I also get 5% or greater on my purchases, so small price changes do not affect me as much.  

Now, almond milk is running cheaper with Walmart.  Using my Discover card, when it is time to order, I get two months supply or more, free delivery, and 5% back.  Other items can be cheaper with other online outlets, and I will use those.  As to the driving issue, I find my lifestyle is cheaper than owning car (registration, insurance, payment, maintenance, repairs from nicks in parking, paying for parking, Seattle area).  Even with uber (can not get a ride costing over 20).  Not for everyone, but it works for me. Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 11 of 25
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@elim wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I, too, am a little confused about abandoning Amazon over the policy change. If you shopped there often before, you obviously felt you were getting a good value. Now because of this change, you won't shop there?

To me, Amazon isn't by far always the cheapest way to get items; it's more about convenience, I think, for a lot of people. You pay more for convenience in most circumstances, generally, so I can kind of understand if they don't want to price match.

+1...    hard to find items delivered in 2 days is worth it to me.  Tax free to boot.

For you at least lol. I pay for sales tax (8.875%) on amazon so I have moved to Newegg for my technology purchases or Bestbuy. Newegg only has warehouses in New Jersey and some place in California so I pay no sales tax on that ( NYC). Go to bestbuy for stuff I want now. Am still a prime member so I end up using it to justify spending on prime ( primarily for video).

With 9.6% sales tax, it still tends to be cheaper.  Not sure where I will get my new computer from, but will use Amaxon for price comparison, and reviews.

Signature needs updating
Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate that most of you don't see the logic here.  My decision is based purely on the numbers, and I am not the typical Amazon customer (note I mentioned business accounts).  I could itemize each of the points raised and present reasons why they don't apply in this case but there's no tangible benefit for doing that.  This policy change just cost me 4k in savings and will likely cost me 6k over time.

Message 13 of 25
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@elim wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

+1...    hard to find items delivered in 2 days is worth it to me.  Tax free to boot.

For you at least lol. I pay for sales tax (8.875%) on amazon so I have moved to Newegg for my technology purchases or Bestbuy. Newegg only has warehouses in New Jersey and some place in California so I pay no sales tax on that ( NYC). Go to bestbuy for stuff I want now. Am still a prime member so I end up using it to justify spending on prime ( primarily for video).

With 9.6% sales tax, it still tends to be cheaper.  Not sure where I will get my new computer from, but will use Amaxon for price comparison, and reviews.

Bestbuy or Newegg IMHO. Bestbuy since they will price match basically any big brands. Newegg as I said is Tax free for most places unless you live in Cali or NJ or the state you live in makes them charge sales tax no matter what. Plus I have seen Amex offers with Newegg every few months with something like spend $200 get $25 back or something.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 14 of 25
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I appreciate that most of you don't see the logic here.  My decision is based purely on the numbers, and I am not the typical Amazon customer (note I mentioned business accounts).  I could itemize each of the points raised and present reasons why they don't apply in this case but there's no tangible benefit for doing that.  This policy change just cost me 4k in savings and will likely cost me 6k over time.

)Mod Cut-nonFSR) As I said you obviously felt the price was good enough to buy it on Amazon to begin with. Prices moves up .....or down all the time and sometimes in a few hours on amazon.  Maybe Amazon should feel entitled to charge you more if they raise the price of the item within a week of purchase? When you get down to it though its your choice and you can do whatever you want ..... But Amazon policies havent changed really and I have recently in the past asked them to price match their own products within a week. If you dislike their new policy just shop there less.... but closing everything for a policy they never really had to enforce to begin with kind is over dramatic IMHO.

Amazon doesn't really care if they lose your business.... They have plenty of other people buying from them and don't see that changing.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 15 of 25
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@elim wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Bestbuy or Newegg IMHO. Bestbuy since they will price match basically any big brands. Newegg as I said is Tax free for most places unless you live in Cali or NJ or the state you live in makes them charge sales tax no matter what. Plus I have seen Amex offers with Newegg every few months with something like spend $200 get $25 back or something.

Have not seen the newegg offers in long time.  My state is notorious for sales tax (since we do not have income tax).  And, with 5%, it's more like 4% sales tax.  But I do shop around.  Unfortunately, as long as running business, I am supposed to pay use tax.  Ergo, need to pay the state sales tax for items purchased without sales tax.  Have not ran into that problem yet, but Amazon noticed my business cards, offered me business account (no thanks) and is now charging sales tax on third party sales (we're tax free before).  Computer is for business, is accounted for in profit and loss, and they want to see the sales tax as part of the calculation.  No cheating for moi.  Smiley Sad

Signature needs updating
Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As I said you obviously felt the price was good enough to buy it on Amazon to begin with. Prices moves up .....or down all the time and sometimes in a few hours on amazon.  Maybe Amazon should feel entitled to charge you more if they raise the price of the item within a week of purchase? When you get down to it though its your choice and you can do whatever you want ..... But Amazon policies havent changed really and I have recently in the past asked them to price match their own products within a week. If you dislike their new policy just shop there less.... but closing everything for a policy they never really had to enforce to begin with kind is over dramatic IMHO.

Amazon doesn't really care if they lose your business.... They have plenty of other people buying from them and don't see that changing.

There's a bit of misplaced hostility there, but as you said, it's your opinion.

Message 17 of 25
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There's a bit of misplaced hostility there, but as you said, it's your opinion.

Not meaning to be hostile, but I do not see the change in policy.  If price matching cost you 4K,  Amazon has a loss limit for customers.  Price matching is a courtesy.  They only give so many credits, then they say no, or they close your account (ran into this when a CSR got overzealous after our debate, they actually closed my accounts, but reinstated first thing on a Monday morning).  I do not have a problem with price matching, but my credits are not 4K annually.

Signature needs updating
Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@elim wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Have not seen the newegg offers in long time.  My state is notorious for sales tax (since we do not have income tax).  And, with 5%, it's more like 4% sales tax.  But I do shop around.  Unfortunately, as long as running business, I am supposed to pay use tax.  Ergo, need to pay the state sales tax for items purchased without sales tax.  Have not ran into that problem yet, but Amazon noticed my business cards, offered me business account (no thanks) and is now charging sales tax on third party sales (we're tax free before).  Computer is for business, is accounted for in profit and loss, and they want to see the sales tax as part of the calculation.  No cheating for moi.  Smiley Sad

Move to New Hampshire! We don't have sales tax or income tax!!

Message 19 of 25
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@elim wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Move to New Hampshire! We don't have sales tax or income tax!!

Just found new apartment, big.  No moving again for awhile (moving by July 1st).

Signature needs updating
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.