cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Prime Store Card: No chat, no luv button?

tag
VipreArmed
Contributor

Re: Amazon Prime Store Card: No chat, no luv button?

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm a weird Amazon shopper. I never find deals there that I can't beat in person elsewhere on most products. But a few times a year they will have something major that's cheaper than anywhere else. Sometimes it's an open box item, other times it's a third party vendor selling. Always items over $3000. I have bought a few things with my $400 toy limit but not much

My other toy limit is Comment Williams Sonoma store card. Also $400. WS is crazy overpriced but they do price match and 5% in rewards means I'll find a deal every few months. They refuse me CLI and gave me two hard inquiries trying both Robolady and on the luv button. Won't use them anymore with the toy limit. Recently wanted a $5500 item they had but bought it elsewhere for 7% less after looking for a few weeks. Two inqs for $0 CLI means permanent sock drawer other than $4 item in store to show activity.

LOL.  I understand.  I have signed up for a few discount sites like FatWallet and FatKidDeals and they always have these great deals on things I want that happen to be on Amazon.  It would be nice if I had the Amazon card instead of paying with other methods but I'm still trying to avoid leaving the garden.   

I thought about the WS card just because it was a Visa but everything was way too high for my liking.  I'm still a newbie to rebuilding credit so when I went on my spree I was tempted to apply for everything I could but luckily I followed the advice of people on this forum and just stuck with the places I know I'll shop at.  

AMEX Blue Cash | Capital One Platinum | OverStock CC | Quiksilver | Walmart | VS Angel Card | 24k Student Loans |

Starting Scores: 4/1/2017 EQ: 623 TU: 644 EX: 661
10/30/2017 EQ: 641 TU: 681 EX: 695
Goal: 720 EQ-TU-EX

Gardening till April 2018!

Message 11 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your increase. Yeah the $400 was low but remember, their limits and increases are more based on your rising TU score than your income. Lol, with all the high income earners here, if it was only based on that people would be sporting 30-40k amazon accounts lol.

With a 689, a 5- 6k limit is the norm. Once you start getting 700 and higher, the limits will get better. We have the exact opposite problems, a nirmal purchase for me would be $40 or less haha. The abcs of my economySmiley Happy
Message 12 of 20
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

See, now that's a pretty fantastic limit for Amazon!! Can I get a woot woot Smiley Happy

My amazon PLCC has been at $5K for almost 2 years now, despite a huge improvement in my scores. Online CLI request always results in a no, and the couple of times I've talked to chat as well. The reason always given is not enough experience with current limit, despite me running the balance up to $4,700 and paying it down.

I see people with 12-15K limits in here sometimes, which would give you room for a large purchase, plus 6 months, without high utilization. Chances are I'll just end up closing the card because as I get wiser about my finances, I find myself needing 0% less often. I guess if I absolutely needed to, I could use my blispay to speak the payments out. 

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Congrats on your increase. Yeah the $400 was low but remember, their limits and increases are more based on your rising TU score than your income. Lol, with all the high income earners here, if it was only based on that people would be sporting 30-40k amazon accounts lol.

With a 689, a 5- 6k limit is the norm. Once you start getting 700 and higher, the limits will get better. We have the exact opposite problems, a nirmal purchase for me would be $40 or less haha. The abcs of my economySmiley Happy

Oh yeah the $400 was fine, I knew they'd raise it eventually and once my score jumped so much over just 3 statements I guess $5000 is better than being stuck at $400!

Most of the high ticket items I buy (including my house!) I also rent out to people who need to use it but can't afford it.  For example, I could have bought a nice $1000 DSLR which I would use maybe 10-15 times a year, or I could buy a $10,000 pro level camera which I can rent out to wedding photographers I know who are already paying $300 per weekend.  Since wedding season is about 20 weeks here, I could earn back the difference between the two cameras in a few years (in fact, I earned it back that first year and kept the camera basically free).

I am extremely thrifty with things in the normal price range.  I never see any great deals at Amazon (or most online sites) except for holiday sales and the very, very rare open box or whatever.  I always look.  If I want something, I'm also willing to wait for a year or longer to get it if I can find a better value.

I know of 3 things I'll buy on Amazon in the next 6-9 months, all are 4 figure items, all I know I can rent immediately on receiving them -- and Amazon happens to be the cheapest (plus the 5% rewards makes it even better).  I was planning on paying with my 1.5% card (gift card purchases) but this now gives me a lot of wiggle room -- still not enough for the biggest buys but it'll get there in time.  

Amazon, like almost all businesses, pull a lot of advertising gimmicks to get people to buy there, but 19/20 times, I find better values locally just negotiating a bit.  Recently bought a gift for someone (they told me what to buy and said Amazon was the cheapest) for almost 15% cheaper just going into a local store and telling them I'm paying cash if they're willing to budge a bit on the price.  They budged more than I had expected!

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

My amazon PLCC has been at $5K for almost 2 years now, despite a huge improvement in my scores. Online CLI request always results in a no, and the couple of times I've talked to chat as well. The reason always given is not enough experience with current limit, despite me running the balance up to $4,700 and paying it down.

I see people with 12-15K limits in here sometimes, which would give you room for a large purchase, plus 6 months, without high utilization. Chances are I'll just end up closing the card because as I get wiser about my finances, I find myself needing 0% less often. I guess if I absolutely needed to, I could use my blispay to speak the payments out. 

Wow, $15K would be perfect!  I never carry a balance -- I'd rather get 5% rewards today than 0% over 3 months.  I never buy something on credit I can't pay off tomorrow -- I blew my FICO scores many years ago in an ugly divorce, and then again in an ugly business failure.  I don't ever want to go through rehabbing a third time, it's exhausting, frustrating, and a waste of money and time.  Every time I'm about to charge something to a credit card, I go into my online banking and transfer the amount from main checking to my payment account checking so that way I am never freaking out come statement cut.  

For those who do need or like 0% financing, the Amazon card is fantastic!  Also, "Pay with Amazon" now works with a bunch of other online stores and even some restaurants in person, and I believe the 0% financing offer is granted there, too.  That's a pretty nice feature.  Not sure if "Pay with Amazon" would offer 5% cash back, so I can see the 0% being a freebie bonus.

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ABC, just my data points for what it's worth. I have received CLI's twice with the Amazon store card, one at 60 days and the next at four months. I started at $1800>$2600>$6000. I have asked for the CLI both times through chat.

You should be in great shape for your purchase and congrats on the nice CLI!

Smiley Very Happy

Chapter 7: Discharged November 2015
Total Revolving Credit Lines 1 month post discharge: $2600, no secured loans
Total Revolving Credit Lines 1 Year post discharge (Nov. '16): $86K, Total with installment loans: $174K
Total Revolving Credit Lines 21 months post discharge (Aug '17): $184K, Total with installment loans: $326K
11/15 Fico 8: EQ-585, TU-550, EX- 551
01/17 Fico 8: EQ-695, TU-703, EX-673
08/17 Fico 8: EQ-693, TU-696, EX-682
Inquires: Next subject please

Message 16 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Congrats on the CLI, @Anonymous!

Just a reminder that calling the Credit Solutions number provided earlier isn't the same as using chat (or calling the number on the back of the card); there's no required minimum time between request with Credit Solutions (i.e. no four month wait).  People have even called them for a CLI, realized they should have asked for more, then called back in the same day and received another CLI (I probably woudn't recommend that; I'm just providing the data point). 

Of course the results will always be YMMV, but it's a painless call and if you're needing a significant bump on a Synch card they can't be beat.  Edited to add:  Remember to aim high, since they will counter-offer.  Smiley Wink

Side note:  You might already be aware of this, but it would be irresponsible of me not to at least mention the Synchrony blue envelope possibility for others reading who might not otherwise be aware.  I'll add that I don't think you have anything to worry about, and it's been a while since I've read of somebody getting one anyway.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the data point!  That's good to know.  I'm not in a rush to use my CL since I wasn't expecting it so wasn't putting cash aside to cover it.  Plus I kinda want to wait until Black Friday or a monthly double-cashback deal happens.  I bought some musical instruments this summer when cashback was 10% instead of 5% and they were sitting and waiting in my cart for months, haha.  Only $200 but still...

I did also notice that the Amazon Store card is also usable at (some?) Amazon Pay merchants -- and there are thousands of them out there!  Was surprised to see that.

Message 18 of 20
trant3
Established Contributor

Congrats. What items do you buy that are $4k+ only?

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of my income sources is to turn things I actually use into items I can rent to friends and neighbors.

Fir example, a $1500 camcorder is amazing quality today, but a $6000 one can rent for $400 a day.

I found many items on Amazon under $2000 might be cheaper to source from vendors I can negotiate with. But around that price range Amazon actually gets cheaper on some things. Not everything, some high ticket items sold online can still be bought cheaper just by contacting a sales person. Amazon doesn't really have sales people to contact.
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.