Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Prime Store card - kindle

tag
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Amazon Prime Store card - kindle

Does anyone know if Kindle book purchases qualify for 5% cash back when using the Amazon Prime Store card?

Kindle book purchases show up as Merchant Category: Record Shops, on my Sallie Mae. So I only get 1% if purchased with that card. I'm looking for a better card to use. Pity the Citi Forward isn't still available, as Record Shop might qualify as Entertainment.

I wonder if the Saturday Night Live card considers record stores as entertainment  :0

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon Prime Store card - kindle

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Does anyone know if Kindle book purchases qualify for 5% cash back when using the Amazon Prime Store card?

Kindle book purchases show up as Merchant Category: Record Shops, on my Sallie Mae. So I only get 1% if purchased with that card. I'm looking for a better card to use. Pity the Citi Forward isn't still available, as Record Shop might qualify as Entertainment.

I wonder if the Saturday Night Live card considers record stores as entertainment  :0

Could you just reload your Amazon GC balance with your SM to bypass that?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

That's really odd.  On my Citi Double Cash (also a MC), Kindle book purchases show up as "Merchandise BOOK STORES" like any other Amazon purchase.

I imagine that the Prime Store Card should give 5% back on Kindle purchase (seeing as they are Amazon purchases), but I don't know it for a fact.

Message 3 of 7
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I like this idea.

Message 4 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

ARGH!  That is so indeed lame, can confirm looking at my April statement; thank you for the heads up, may have to go switch my default Amazon spender now for Kindle transactions, what a pain in the tuckus.  Going to see if I can find out when this started, have a fairly regular Kindle habit.

PURCHASED BY:Revelate
ACCOUNT ENDING IN:XXXX
TRANSACTION DATE:04/16/15
POST DATE:04/17/15
AMOUNT:15.99
DESCRIPTION:Amazon Services-Kindle
MERCHANT LOCATION:*866-321-8851 WA
MERCHANT CATEGORY:RECORD SHOPS

        
Message 5 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Well I feel like an idiot, that's what I get for blindly trusting MCC codes and reward categories.

I only got my Sallie in early May last year, but not a single Kindle transaction fell under Bookstores.  Not one.  Gah.  Still love Sallie but seriously, come on Amazon/Barclays, these literally are books!

Will look into the GC thanks Nixon.

ETA: looks like that does indeed work if the description of the charge is accurate in the temporary authorization - standard Amazon.com which does hit the bonus categories historically.

        
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Very good plan-

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.