Amazon Prime Visa 5% on restaurants

tag
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Amazon Prime Visa 5% on restaurants

@SouthJamaicawrote:

@Gmood1wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Is that offer good for all Amazon Prime cardholders, or is it a selected offer?  I haven't seen it myself, so I'm thinking it's not for everyone.

It would be nice though and would render my PC from the CO QS to the Savor completely useless for 3 months Smiley Happy

Not sure BBS, the email does have my name and last four digits of my card in it. I thouight it would be for everyone that has the card, though I could be wrong.

I haven't gotten the email either, so I guess it's just for you big spenders Smiley Happy

😂😂 I'm far, far away from a big spender. Maybe that's why I got the offer. I only use this card on Amazon. Chase is trying to entice me and others to use it more.

Message 21 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't have the card but am curious -- is it cash back (to your bank) or is it 5% in Amazon store credit?

The reason I ask is if it's in Amazon store credit and you redeem it, do you save 5% on that portion of Amazon purchases?  If not, you're losing out on that 5%, so theoretically if it didn't give actual cash back (to a bank) it's really 4.75% store credit, lol.

Message 22 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Don't have the card but am curious -- is it cash back (to your bank) or is it 5% in Amazon store credit?

The reason I ask is if it's in Amazon store credit and you redeem it, do you save 5% on that portion of Amazon purchases?  If not, you're losing out on that 5%, so theoretically if it didn't give actual cash back (to a bank) it's really 4.75% store credit, lol.

It's 5% Amazon Store Credit to my understanding. Still a good deal though.

I never got the email though for my Amazon Prime Visa Signature card Smiley Sad

* I just checked (I'm a new user of this card): apparently points can be redeemed into a statement credit. That seems like the most beneficial way to redeem points earned that way you make another 5% on your Amazon purchase rather than lose out.

Message 23 of 48
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

We have a $700/month budget for Whole Foods. AS soon as I found out about the 5%, I stopped using my AMEX BCP which had a 6% cap and an annual fee. Now I can use the Amazon no-fee card for unlimited 5%. 

Message 24 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

It's 5% Amazon Store Credit to my understanding. Still a good deal though.

I never got the email though for my Amazon Prime Visa Signature card Smiley Sad

* I just checked (I'm a new user of this card): apparently points can be redeemed into a statement credit. That seems like the most beneficial way to redeem points earned that way you make another 5% on your Amazon purchase rather than lose out.

You can redeem as cashback to a bank account too.

Activated this offer last night... the Uber card won't be getting used for my next $1,500 of dining 🍽️🥩🍺

Message 25 of 48
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

It's really preferable to redeem the points as a statement credit or to your bank account. As mentioned, you don't get the 5% discount when paying with rewards points.

The tough part occurs when you don't have the $20 required balance to redeem anywhere other than Amazon. On every purchase, you have to make sure that the radio button to use rewards points is deselected. If there's a setting to change that button's default, I haven't found it.

Message 26 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhiowrote:

It's really preferable to redeem the points as a statement credit or to your bank account. As mentioned, you don't get the 5% discount when paying with rewards points.

The tough part occurs when you don't have the $20 required balance to redeem anywhere other than Amazon. On every purchase, you have to make sure that the radio button to use rewards points is deselected. If there's a setting to change that button's default, I haven't found it.

Amazon will leave it deselected if you uncheck it. At least they have for me.

Message 27 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleBwrote:

My streak continues with Chase... I've yet to be targeted for one of these promos.  Smiley Sad

Just for giggles I tried the link anyway, and of course it was no-go.

It's OK, though... my US Bank Cash+ is getting a workout with fast-food so I'm not hurting, but it would be nice to be noticed by Chase occasionally.  Smiley Indifferent

Same here...

ETA: I just now received the email offer from Chase...so there's hope yet, Uncle B!

Message 28 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@HeavenOhiowrote:

Amazon will leave it deselected if you uncheck it. At least they have for me.

Yes, I've never had a problem with having to deselect each time.

Re the targetted offer:  I use the card for Amazon only currently (maybe $100-200 a month) since I have alternatives for my WholeFoods spend.   I didn't receive the email for this offer, and that made me wonder if the algorithm is somewhat sophisticated: my dining all goes on the Chase Sapphire Reserve, and, without knowing all the cobrand details, I would assume that Chase gets more profit from me using it there than encouraging me to use Amazon for dining (even though that's just three months).   Did others who did get the offer put dining on other Chase cards?

Message 29 of 48
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Gmood1wrote:

@SouthJamaicawrote:

@Gmood1wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Is that offer good for all Amazon Prime cardholders, or is it a selected offer?  I haven't seen it myself, so I'm thinking it's not for everyone.

It would be nice though and would render my PC from the CO QS to the Savor completely useless for 3 months Smiley Happy

Not sure BBS, the email does have my name and last four digits of my card in it. I thouight it would be for everyone that has the card, though I could be wrong.

I haven't gotten the email either, so I guess it's just for you big spenders Smiley Happy

😂😂 I'm far, far away from a big spender. Maybe that's why I got the offer. I only use this card on Amazon. Chase is trying to entice me and others to use it more.

So, I guess the winning strategy is to play hard to get Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.