cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Purchases Count Toward 3% CHASE Freedom Plus Rewards or Not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon Purchases Count Toward 3% CHASE Freedom Plus Rewards or Not?

Hello Everyone,

I did quite a bit of extensive research on these forums and the internet prior to posting this, so I really apologize if the answer is somewhere underneath my nose.

Do Amazon purchases count toward the 3% rewards on the CHASE Freedom Plus VISA IF it is a TOP CATEGORY the customer spends in, or is it excluded? 

I have literally gotten 4 or 5 conflicting responses from CHASE representatives. Some are stating Amazon purchases are exluded, and others are saying it qualifies so long as it is a top spending category.

I really appreciate any help, or if anyone has any hard data they can cite when providing an answer such as your own rewards earnings etc. for Amazon purchases.

A part of me can see how they would be EXCLUDED considering there is a separate Amazon Chase VISA credit card.  I already confirmed I can product change to the Amazon VISA, but I did not really want to lose the overall higher benefits of the CHASE Freedom Plus.  

Thank you again.

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon Purchases Count Toward 3% CHASE Freedom Plus Rewards or Not?

I have 2 regular (not the Plus) Chase Freedom cards.  I'm allowed 3 top spending categories on each card, rather than 6.  I've made purchases at Amazon.com.  I've only received the standard 1% cash back rewards for these purchases. 
Message 9 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would bet that those who say they are excluded are right and those being broad saying "well if it's your top category of course" don't know about the exclusion. I by no means have a definitive answer but that is the most likely case.

If you shop at Amazon a lot. I would just apply for an Amazon card. It's 6% cash back for the first 3 months on Amazon purchases aswell as 4% for the first 3 months on a few other things.Keep your freedom card and just use your amazon card for Amazon purhcases.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate the lightning fast reply. It was very helpful.

Any other takers, possibly with confirmation as to the Amazon rewards on their CHASE Freedom Plus VISA credit cards? 

Message 3 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I have the Freedom plus but just product changed about 1.5 months ago... Why would Amazon be excluded?

I didn't think there were many exclusions, of course I also have not ready any of them! 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see why it would be excluded either. I have the card and love it. Making a boatload off it and haven't found any issues with any of my top spending getting excluded from rewards. I'm cashin' in, left and right.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, honestly I am WISHING and HOPING it is NOT excluded, but would this not somehow "cut" into promoting a separate product line meant for frequent Amazon shoppers?

Is anyone able to say based on their statements, if they are receiving 3% from Amazon purchases if it is a top spending category?

Message 6 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

OK, I don't have this card (yet), so this is strictly from reading the info online.

Remember, it's not the top 6 vendors; it's the top 6 categories:

Retail establishments must classify their merchant location for Visa/MasterCard as one of the following bonus categories:
grocery stores (that are not affiliated with or departments of superstores, warehouse clubs or discount stores)
gas & convenience stores
quick service payment/fast food restaurants
telecommunications, cable/satellite TV/Internet Service Providers
video rentals
department stores
dry cleaners
drugstores
movie theatres
local and suburban commuter passenger transportation (including ferries, bridges, tolls, parking garages, taxis/limos)
pet supply stores and veterinary services
utilities
beauty shops (salons and spas)
or gym/recreation memberships.

(I took guesses as to where the line breaks ought to be on these; some might need to be on one line)

I don't see Amazon fitting into any of these categories, so my guess would be no, you won't get points for them. But that is strictly a guess, so I echo you in asking for anyone with Chase Freedom Plus to let us know if they have any experience with this.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what you are saying; however, if you really think about it Amazon sells products from almost every single category on that list.  I understand that that Amazon will use the merchant code of "sells used or new books", but that is somewhat of a letdown if they are excluded on the CHASE Freedom Plus credit card 3% rewards.

Any other takers?  Losing hope here Smiley Happy haha. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 regular (not the Plus) Chase Freedom cards.  I'm allowed 3 top spending categories on each card, rather than 6.  I've made purchases at Amazon.com.  I've only received the standard 1% cash back rewards for these purchases. 
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I really appreciate it.  This seems like the solution. 

Would anyone explain to me why I would not be able to switch from the CHASE Freedom Plus to the Amazon VISA? Are certain changes only allowed within a certain time frame?  I was told that the following switch was not possible for me at this point, or it may never be.  I was also told to apply for the CHASE Amazon VISA, but I was really just trying to avoid putting in another credit app.  

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.