cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Purchases Count Toward 3% CHASE Freedom Plus Rewards or Not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon Purchases Count Toward 3% CHASE Freedom Plus Rewards or Not?

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand what you are saying; however, if you really think about it Amazon sells products from almost every single category on that list.  I understand that that Amazon will use the merchant code of "sells used or new books", but that is somewhat of a letdown if they are excluded on the CHASE Freedom Plus credit card 3% rewards.

Any other takers?  Losing hope here Smiley Happy haha. 

As far as I know, Hauling is correct.  The rewards are not based on the categories of the ITEMS you purchase, but rather the categories of the MERCHANTS you purchase from.  For example, if I buy pet food at the grocery store, it'd be categorized as "Grocery Stores" NOT as "Pet Supply Stores and Veterinary Services"

Another reason this seems to be the case is actually an example of the opposite situation regarding Amazon.com: the mtvU card from Citibank, which offers 5 Thank you points per $1 purchase at "Bookstores" actually gives 5pts/$1 for ALL Amazon.com purchases regardless of what types of items are actually purchased! 

So based on that, it does seem that Amazon.com purchase are always classified as "Bookstores" and therefore would never fall within a Chase Freedom bonus category.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon Purchases Count Toward 3% CHASE Freedom Plus Rewards or Not?

Jacred,

Thanks for explaining further. I am curious as to what you can redeem "thank you points" for?  Can you redeem them for cash?  Is this card a "better" card for a frequent Amazon.com purchaser?

Thanks

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.