Established Member
awesker3

Amazon Purchases Count Toward 3% CHASE Freedom Plus Rewards or Not?

Hello Everyone,

I did quite a bit of extensive research on these forums and the internet prior to posting this, so I really apologize if the answer is somewhere underneath my nose.

Do Amazon purchases count toward the 3% rewards on the CHASE Freedom Plus VISA IF it is a TOP CATEGORY the customer spends in, or is it excluded? 

I have literally gotten 4 or 5 conflicting responses from CHASE representatives. Some are stating Amazon purchases are exluded, and others are saying it qualifies so long as it is a top spending category.

I really appreciate any help, or if anyone has any hard data they can cite when providing an answer such as your own rewards earnings etc. for Amazon purchases.

A part of me can see how they would be EXCLUDED considering there is a separate Amazon Chase VISA credit card.  I already confirmed I can product change to the Amazon VISA, but I did not really want to lose the overall higher benefits of the CHASE Freedom Plus.  

Thank you again.

Wills188

Re: Amazon Purchases Count Toward 3% CHASE Freedom Plus Rewards or Not?

I would bet that those who say they are excluded are right and those being broad saying "well if it's your top category of course" don't know about the exclusion. I by no means have a definitive answer but that is the most likely case.

If you shop at Amazon a lot. I would just apply for an Amazon card. It's 6% cash back for the first 3 months on Amazon purchases aswell as 4% for the first 3 months on a few other things.Keep your freedom card and just use your amazon card for Amazon purhcases.

Established Member
awesker3

I appreciate the lightning fast reply. It was very helpful.

Any other takers, possibly with confirmation as to the Amazon rewards on their CHASE Freedom Plus VISA credit cards? 

Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

I have the Freedom plus but just product changed about 1.5 months ago... Why would Amazon be excluded?

I didn't think there were many exclusions, of course I also have not ready any of them! 

Fico Scores: EQ- 626 Overstck., TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 Chase (11-05-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
66 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Senior Contributor
UpUpUp

I don't see why it would be excluded either. I have the card and love it. Making a boatload off it and haven't found any issues with any of my top spending getting excluded from rewards. I'm cashin' in, left and right.
Established Member
awesker3

Well, honestly I am WISHING and HOPING it is NOT excluded, but would this not somehow "cut" into promoting a separate product line meant for frequent Amazon shoppers?

Is anyone able to say based on their statements, if they are receiving 3% from Amazon purchases if it is a top spending category?

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

OK, I don't have this card (yet), so this is strictly from reading the info online.

Remember, it's not the top 6 vendors; it's the top 6 categories:

Retail establishments must classify their merchant location for Visa/MasterCard as one of the following bonus categories:
grocery stores (that are not affiliated with or departments of superstores, warehouse clubs or discount stores)
gas & convenience stores
quick service payment/fast food restaurants
telecommunications, cable/satellite TV/Internet Service Providers
video rentals
department stores
dry cleaners
drugstores
movie theatres
local and suburban commuter passenger transportation (including ferries, bridges, tolls, parking garages, taxis/limos)
pet supply stores and veterinary services
utilities
beauty shops (salons and spas)
or gym/recreation memberships.

(I took guesses as to where the line breaks ought to be on these; some might need to be on one line)

I don't see Amazon fitting into any of these categories, so my guess would be no, you won't get points for them. But that is strictly a guess, so I echo you in asking for anyone with Chase Freedom Plus to let us know if they have any experience with this.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Established Member
awesker3

I understand what you are saying; however, if you really think about it Amazon sells products from almost every single category on that list.  I understand that that Amazon will use the merchant code of "sells used or new books", but that is somewhat of a letdown if they are excluded on the CHASE Freedom Plus credit card 3% rewards.

Any other takers?  Losing hope here :smileyhappy: haha. 

Moderator Emeritus
psychic

I have 2 regular (not the Plus) Chase Freedom cards.  I'm allowed 3 top spending categories on each card, rather than 6.  I've made purchases at Amazon.com.  I've only received the standard 1% cash back rewards for these purchases. 
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Established Member
awesker3

Thanks, I really appreciate it.  This seems like the solution. 

Would anyone explain to me why I would not be able to switch from the CHASE Freedom Plus to the Amazon VISA? Are certain changes only allowed within a certain time frame?  I was told that the following switch was not possible for me at this point, or it may never be.  I was also told to apply for the CHASE Amazon VISA, but I was really just trying to avoid putting in another credit app.  

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}