Amazon Rewards Visa earns 5% back at Whole Foods

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase Amazon 5% at Whole Foods, 3% for non-Prime customers

@Gregory1776wrote:

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

Must. Not. App.

Someone please lie to me and tell me the Chase Amazon card is subject to 5/24.

It’s not, I got mine in September over 5/24. FWIW, I don’t regret applying. 😇😇😇😇😇😇

I said lie to me!  I know it's not.  Smiley Wink

As for the 5% conversation (which I've failed to quote), the agreement between card issuer/servicer and merchant will vary but there are LOTS of people paying mountains of 20+% interest on both the Chase and Synchrony cards to more than offset what those in the PIF crowd get back in statement credits.  People who have a card for a particular merchant will generally shop more with that merchant, too, so if a group of individuals spend more that will also offset it.  I use my Synch Amazon card for the 5% back on purchases I plan to PIF, but their card is the best of both worlds with 0% for x months (while retaining the grace period for new purchases), so I also spend quite a lot at Amazon that I may have considered using a different card to purchase from another retailer if it weren't for the "free" 6/12/24 month loan.

Message 21 of 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

So I wonder how this actually happens behind the scenes.   I guess Chase must have updated their system to give a bigger discount on WholeFoods (as presumably, for other cards, WF still has to code as groceries)

Message 22 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the idea and its always nice to have new perks, but I still don't think 5% is going to be enough to get me there for my groceries, full time. 

Message 23 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

@Gregory1776wrote:

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

Must. Not. App.

It’s not, I got mine in September over 5/24. FWIW, I don’t regret applying. 😇😇😇😇😇😇

As for the 5% conversation (which I've failed to quote), the agreement between card issuer/servicer and merchant will vary but there are LOTS of people paying mountains of 20+% interest on both the Chase and Synchrony cards to more than offset what those in the PIF crowd get back in statement credits.  People who have a card for a particular merchant will generally shop more with that merchant, too, so if a group of individuals spend more that will also offset it.  I use my Synch Amazon card for the 5% back on purchases I plan to PIF, but their card is the best of both worlds with 0% for x months (while retaining the grace period for new purchases), so I also spend quite a lot at Amazon that I may have considered using a different card to purchase from another retailer if it weren't for the "free" 6/12/24 month loan.

I guess I'm trying to understand where Amazon would benefit if the store card was used at Whole Foods. 

Most likely Synchrony makes a profit from the interest since they're the ones lending the money out. I guess a 0% interchange fee would be enough to accept the card in store? 

Message 24 of 54
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymouswrote:

I guess I'm trying to understand where Amazon would benefit if the store card was used at Whole Foods. 

Most likely Synchrony makes a profit from the interest since they're the ones lending the money out. I guess a 0% interchange fee would be enough to accept the card in store? 

With the store card, yes I would assume there is zero Interchange and zero transaction fee - like gift card processing (unless the merchant is paying per transaction).  Now that Amazon owns Whole Foods, they'd benefit from driving more customers into Whole Foods, or getting existing customers to visit more often.  Whatever is good for the Whole Foods bottom line is now good for Amazon's.

Message 25 of 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

WholeFoods is my main grocery store, and I would use this over the  5% OBC (which might be forcibly converted) because of the better redemption process (no extra wait, no $25 increment).   But discount WholeFoods cards are still cheaper, if more inconvenient

Message 26 of 54
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

@Gregory1776wrote:

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

Must. Not. App.

Plus you could 0% finance your $149 Whole Foods purchase for 6 months. They can call it "Eat now, regret later!" Smiley LOL

Message 27 of 54
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I just got the email from Chase a little while ago... here's a link to the FAQ on the Amazon site:

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17599167011&ref=vanWFMC

Message 28 of 54
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Re: Amazon Rewards Visa earns 5% back at Whole Foods

Thanks!. Was reading about this earlier on line. We are supposed to be getting a Whole Foods Store in Anchorage and I already have the Chase prime card. Now if only I could get Chase to give me CLI

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 29 of 54
redpat
Senior Contributor

Nice to see that there is a 5% option for Whole Paycheck.  I’ll keep using my EDP, if prefer 4.50 MR points instead and CSR for 5 bucks(Starbucks).

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 30 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.