Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Store Card Financed and New Purchases

tag
bookedirl

Amazon Store Card Financed and New Purchases

Hello,

This may be a dumb quesiton but If I finance something for 12 months with my Amazon Store card and then after that make new purchases how do they process the payments at the end of the month? Does my payment go towards the new purchases first? 

I'm assuming it would go to the financed purchase first then I would acrue interest on new purchases until the financed portion is paid off?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
iv
Valued Contributor

Re: Amazon Store Card Financed and New Purchases

You have choices, under Payments->Allocate Payments (just make sure you select your option before the next payment - you probably want #3, just make sure you do pay off the 12-month deal BEFORE it's over, or you'll get hit with piles of retro-interest):

Manage how your payments are applied

The option indicated below is the current manner in which your payments are applied. You may choose one of the other payment allocation options to change how payments will be applied during billing periods when your account has both a non-promotional balance and a deferred interest promotional balance(s).

Any option you select will apply not only to an existing deferred interest promotional balance on your account (if any), but also to future deferred interest promotional purchases as well. Your selection applies to all payments already credited during your current billing period and to all future payments. You may change your selection online at any time.

Please note: Options 2 and 3 below only affect the order that payments will be applied between non-promotional balance(s) and deferred interest promotional balance(s) on your account. Regardless of the option you select, if your account has optional debt cancellation and/or a Fixed Payment promotional balance(s), your payment will first be applied to the debt cancellation balance and/or the required payment for the Fixed Payment balance(s) before other balances on your account, with only the following exception. During a billing period in which a deferred interest promotion expires, if your payment is enough to pay off the expiring promotional balance then your payment will first be applied to the expiring deferred interest promotional balance before other balances on your account.

Payment Allocation Options:

1. Standard Allocation:

Payment received in excess of minimum payment amount due will be applied to non-promotional balances before deferred interest promotional balances except in the last two months of a deferred interest promotion. In the last two months of a deferred interest promotion, the payment amount in excess of the minimum payment due will be applied to the deferred interest promotion(s) that are in the month of expiration and/or the month prior to expiration.

2. Allocate Payment to Deferred Interest Promotional Balances First:

Any payment you make (including the required minimum payment due and any additional amounts) will be applied to the deferred interest promotional balance before the non-promotional balance.

3. Allocate Payment to Non-Promotional Balances First:

Any payment you make (including the required minimum payment due and any additional amounts) will be applied to the non-promotional balance before the deferred interest promotional balance. Please note, even with this setting, during a billing period in which a deferred interest promotion expires, if your payment is enough to pay off the expiring promotion, your payment will be applied to the expiring promotion first before the non-promotional and other balances on your account.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 2 of 3
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amazon Store Card Financed and New Purchases

I have my card set to apply payments to the non-promotional balances first (as iv noted).  I have an automatic payment (pushed from my bank) for the installment amount of the promotional purchase and then manually send a second payment to pay off my new purchases in full (less the 5% credit).  No interest charges so far.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.