Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Store Card Insight Please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon Store Card Insight Please

Hello,

I got the Amazon Store Card by GEMB in the beginning of this year (about the 10th of January). I used the entire available credit limit (literally 100% of $1800) because I was given the financing option of 0% for 24 months. I also made about $500 worth of purchases on that card, while still paying the primary amount that I owed. I have now paid down the entire balance 100% within 10 months, and just recently requested a CLI. I was instantly declined for that request. Maybe I shouldn't have took so long to repay? Or I shouldn't have had such a high utilization?

Now, I signed in to check on the account to make sure everything was okay (I check all my bank accounts compulsively), but then I noticed a message that says, "Reminder: Your account is closed to further purchases." Does this mine that GEMB closed my Amazon Store Card? Will this have an affect on my credit score (account being closed)? Is it 100% closed or just on sort of a probation? Is it possible to have them reactivate the card (same account) so that it can continue reporting to the Big 3 CB's? Can anyone give me some insight? I really enjoy having this card, as I make many purchases through Amazon (well about $10,000 within the past year).

I think the fact that I asked for a credit limit increase made them look at my payment history (which I had no late payments) and maybe did a soft inquiry and didn't like what they saw? Though my FICO scores were in the low 500's when I applied and are now trickling around the high 600's/low 700's.

Thanks in advanced! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon Store Card Insight Please

I had a similar experience with GEMB, except with their Paypal Plus Mastercard. I had pretty much used 100% of my credit limit which was around $2700. It took me about 14-16 months to pay it off, and they closed my account as soon as I did.

Message 2 of 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

I just noticed this past weekend for AMZ store card, In the 'close acct' tab online, it says that if the acct is closed it cannot be reopened.

Utilized 100% CL then made additional charges?  Did acct go OTL? 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh goodness. I can't find the 'close acct' tab online anywhere online. When I click "Replacement Card" or "Lost or Stolen Card" it says it cannot be done for my account. And I actually utilized $1799 out of $1800 the day it was instantly approved. (1 dollar less). Then I tried to make a payment about a week or two later, before the end of the first cycle. It came back returned with a returned payment fee, and then I received an over the limit fee because the returned payment fee made me over the limit. Apparently it came back rejected because the  "account cannot be not found, contact institution," but that's because I accidentally typed in the routing number incorrectly. The additional charges were made when at least 50% of the principle balance was paid off.

I really want to figure out if I can get this account reopened. But I've actually called them before I realized it was closed, to ask why I was denied for a credit limit increase. And I hung up several times, because it sounded like some guy in India that had no idea what I was talking about. This time I left a message online for them. I just opened a $7000 credit card with another bank within a week after being denied for a CLI for my Amazon Store Card. 

Message 4 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh goodness. I can't find the 'close acct' tab online anywhere online. When I click "Replacement Card" or "Lost or Stolen Card" it says it cannot be done for my account. And I actually utilized $1799 out of $1800 the day it was instantly approved. (1 dollar less). Then I tried to make a payment about a week or two later, before the end of the first cycle. It came back returned with a returned payment fee, and then I received an over the limit fee because the returned payment fee made me over the limit. Apparently it came back rejected because the  "account cannot be not found, contact institution," but that's because I accidentally typed in the routing number incorrectly. The additional charges were made when at least 50% of the principle balance was paid off.

I really want to figure out if I can get this account reopened. But I've actually called them before I realized it was closed, to ask why I was denied for a credit limit increase. And I hung up several times, because it sounded like some guy in India that had no idea what I was talking about. This time I left a message online for them. I just opened a $7000 credit card with another bank within a week after being denied for a CLI for my Amazon Store Card. 

Ouch. Smiley Sad

As you have found, most CCC's don't show much mercy if there are any problems in payment early on with an account.

At least nothing was reported to the credit bureaus on this, right? No late payment? If so, then it's just internal history with GEMB (as it should be.)

It's worth a recon, certainly, if you can escalate (ever-so-politely) to a supervisor who has the authority to make changes. Most first-line CSR's, whether US-based or overseas, are not allowed to do this, and in fact, they can be written up if they spend "too much time" with a customer and vary from the script too much. I make a lot of mental notes about corporations, financial or otherwise, on their customer service, especially the first people you get when you call. Smiley Mad

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, nothing was reported to the credit bureaus, and there was never a late payment (even internally). I was just trying to be ahead of the game by paying before the first statement even cut. Just for clarification, recon means...? (I've been a long time lurker and I still can't decipher what that is). Do you know how I can about about that/this process? Or maybe point me to the direction of another thread/post?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, nothing was reported to the credit bureaus, and there was never a late payment (even internally). I was just trying to be ahead of the game by paying before the first statement even cut. Just for clarification, recon means...?   (I've been a long time lurker and I still can't decipher what that is). Do you know how I can about about that/this process? Or maybe point me to the direction of another thread/post?

Thanks!

Reconsideration. You just call the issuer and ask them nicely to reconsider your application.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800, 10/10-813
TU - 10/10-774
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got the same thing on my amazon account. Did anyone have any success keeping it open? I made a payment worth 40% of my balance and they closed me?

Message 8 of 10
MagicShot
Contributor

Do you know what your credit scores were when they did this?

I am courious because I just got a CLI with them, and my overall util its about 20% ish +- 2%

Message 9 of 10
laz98
Senior Contributor

sorry to hear about your troubles!  it sucks that they closed your account without telling you first.

both of my CLIs were auto, & i was carrying a balance (i usually am, at 0%!).  i think both times i was at about 60% util on the card.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.