Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Store Card - Not a great experience

tag
recruiter89
Established Member

Amazon Store Card - Not a great experience

For anyone considering this card, I just closed my account having it less than 1 year. I had a horrible experience with Synchrony Bank that took this card over from GE Capital. They started me off with even half way decent credit at a CL of $600 and only moved it up after 6 months to $1600 even though my credit scores improved to over 740. The website is very basic and they are a hit or miss sending statements so anyone that doesnt pay attention to their account may miss a payment. There is no human interaction whatsoever with this Bank and when I closed the account it was a simple hit of two buttons on the website and it was closed. They don't care enough about their customers and I was glad to be done with them. The whole experience was a joke.

AMEX Platinum/AMEX Blue Cash Preferred/Chase Ritz Carlton/USAA Platinum World/Citi Prestige/Discover it/Macy's Red/Diner's Club World Elite/Barclay US Airways Mastercard/Chase Sapphire Preferred
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon Store Card - Not a great experience

@recruiter89 wrote:

For anyone considering this card, I just closed my account having it less than 1 year. I had a horrible experience with Synchrony Bank that took this card over from GE Capital. They started me off with even half way decent credit at a CL of $600 and only moved it up after 6 months to $1600 even though my credit scores improved to over 740. The website is very basic and they are a hit or miss sending statements so anyone that doesnt pay attention to their account may miss a payment. There is no human interaction whatsoever with this Bank and when I closed the account it was a simple hit of two buttons on the website and it was closed. They don't care enough about their customers and I was glad to be done with them. The whole experience was a joke.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Try the Amazon Card through Chase.  Much much better with excellent service and good rewards.

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@recruiter89 wrote:

A) It wasn't "taken" over by Synchrony bank... Its the exact same company, only they changed names, nothing else

B) A credit score alone does not entitle you to a huge CLI or CC limit.. Numerous variables play a factor.. and every CC company is different..

C) If you're that unhappy with the store card, why not try the Amazon card offered by chase?

Message 3 of 21
recruiter89
Established Member

I might try that. I just figured if I am getting huge CLs from other cards and this one is so meager, it is a shabby reflection of the company. Whatever the circumstance, my experience was not a good. IF they are so good, why don't they even have an app and why does their website stink?

AMEX Platinum/AMEX Blue Cash Preferred/Chase Ritz Carlton/USAA Platinum World/Citi Prestige/Discover it/Macy's Red/Diner's Club World Elite/Barclay US Airways Mastercard/Chase Sapphire Preferred
Message 4 of 21
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear that. I'm assuming you tried Credit Solutions to see if they could give you a higher limit. You can do that at any time unlike their CLI button.

I myself really still want that Chase Amazon Visa.
Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 5 of 21
Berk
Established Contributor

@recruiter89 wrote:

I might try that. I just figured if I am getting huge CLs from other cards and this one is so meager, it is a shabby reflection of the company. Whatever the circumstance, my experience was not a good. IF they are so good, why don't they even have an app and why does their website stink?

I have had the card for years without any problem either on line or through Customer Service. I will say that I was stuck at a 4k credit limit for about 4 years. Calling customer service or trying for an increase using website always resulted in "the credit limit you have requested is more than our policy allows" response. Called Credit Solutions and was immediately approved for a 6k increase to 10K with a soft pull. Love the 5% cash back as a credit statment as well.

Sorry your experience was so poor. Hope you weren't too hasty in closing the account.

Message 6 of 21
recruiter89
Established Member

yup tried it and got shot down numerous times. Thought it was strange since I have a 40K limit on Diners and 25K limits on all others. I wasnt too hasty in closing. This card gave no rewards to have it open so why bother.

Message 7 of 21
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

If you want a legitimate credit card apply for the Chase/Amazon Visa. The store card, IMHO, should only be used for interest free payments on larger ticket items. I've never checked, but aren't their typical interest rates in the penalty >20% range? Seriously, my Amazon Store card is actually cardboard. Are they all made of paper?

Message 8 of 21
recruiter89
Established Member

yup, another joke. I understood why the paper, but why send a card at all?, Not like I was going to pull it out.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're looking at the Chase Amazon, keep in mind Sallie Mae. You get a better return on Amazon purchase from SM (5%) than Chase (3%), as long as you're keeping the purchases under $750 per month (the SM 5% cutoff). I also got a much higher limit from SM than I did from Chase. 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.