Valued Contributor
smc733

Amazon Store Card (Promise this will be my last thread for a while)

So I was wondering what would be the harm if I went for this?

Would I get it?  (12 Inq on TU)

Would opening this freak out Discover, especially if my HSBC/BB reports.  There are awesome deals here, and I'd love to round my collection out with a 4th and final card, one GOOD retail card.  Then I'd have Visa/MC/Discover and a Store Card, all with lenders that grow and give healthy CLs.

Thanks.

Regular Contributor
ferrari

Re: Amazon Store Card (Promise this will be my last thread for a while)

[ Edited ]

I like this card. It's my favorite store card. They approved me for my highest CL at the time with a 7months of credit history and 670 fico for $3200  but most other people were getting CLs in the $1500-2000 range. They gave me a CLI after the 5th ot 6th statement (I requested it) to $3600.

For a while they only offered their standard 6 months financing on any purchase > $150 but now it seems they have quite a few deals.

You should get approved with your scores but CL varies, it will grow though.

Established Contributor
Changingmantra

If you use Amazon often, go for it.  I love having this card.  I do not have a substantial CL ($750.00), but at least they have started giving me CLIs over the past years, and because I shop on A.com every month, it is great for me to have this card.  They also ofer coupon codes every now and again. 

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Senior Contributor
Walt_K

smc733 wrote:

So I was wondering what would be the harm if I went for this?

Would I get it?  (12 Inq on TU)

Would opening this freak out Discover, especially if my HSBC/BB reports.  There are awesome deals here, and I'd love to round my collection out with a 4th and final card, one GOOD retail card.  Then I'd have Visa/MC/Discover and a Store Card, all with lenders that grow and give healthy CLs.

Thanks.

EQ: 745 (Jan '10) FICO | EX: 755 (PSECU FICO) | TU: 762 (Jan '10) FICO
BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa ($2,500), Citi Dividend Platinum Select MasterCard($2,200), Discover More ($1,500)
No applying until 2012!

Follow your own advice.  Amazon will still be there next year. 

(No idea how Discover will react, but I figured you'd get enough people telling you to go for it.)

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
smc733

Gah, I know!  I'm terrible with this.  I have a bunch of inquiries from Feb-July of last year, I might let them all drop off (past 1 year I mean), and apply late July/Early August.  I was going to go Amex with either Blue Cash or Zync, but do I really need/use a fourth card in addition to the three I have (with better rewards systems)?

I have been moving most of my shopping online, so I suppose if I get the GEMB/Amazon card, it should see a LOT of activity.

I'll be waiting on what HSBC does (I'm told they won't report)

Valued Contributor
smc733

So I think I've developed the perfect plan.

In August I'll have only a few inqs, at which point I'll apply for this card, then in December, I'll go for the HSBC/BB, hopefully to get Program A!

3 Bank Cards/2 Store Cards, perfect diverse wallet!

New Visitor
Limousine2004

What type of credit score do you need to be approved for Amazon.com.  I use that site a lot and wanted to see what the credit score needs to be in order to be approved.  Thanks.

Established Contributor
Changingmantra

Limousine2004 wrote:

What type of credit score do you need to be approved for Amazon.com.  I use that site a lot and wanted to see what the credit score needs to be in order to be approved.  Thanks.

I got approved 3 years aog with a TU score of about 600 or so.   I love Amazon - gets the most use of all my cards.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Valued Contributor
smc733

GEMB is pretty easy for approvals.  Even if they start with low CLs, they generally grow to some nice 4 figure limits (in some cases 5)

Senior Contributor
score_building

smc733 wrote:

So I think I've developed the perfect plan.

In August I'll have only a few inqs, at which point I'll apply for this card, then in December, I'll go for the HSBC/BB, hopefully to get Program A!

3 Bank Cards/2 Store Cards, perfect diverse wallet!

A roster without both local/ regional bank AND CU representation is not sufficiently diversified YMMV.

FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}