cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Store Card to Offer 5% Cash back on everyday purchases!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon Store Card to Offer 5% Cash back on everyday purchases!

@Anonymous wrote:

This store card is almost never better than the Chase Amazon card...unless you spend a ton at Amazon. The Prime fee alone puts you in the hole by a sizable amount to begin with.

I'll stick to my DC and Discover cards for Amazon.

You're assuming incorrectly that people join Amazon Prime solely as part of a credit card equation.  It provides lots of tangible benefits if you purchase a lot from Amazon and should not be included in any comparison of the credit cards.  I think quite a few people have shown that with this 5% offer the store card now is a far better deal for Amazon purchases.

In full disclosure I have neither card.

Message 81 of 156
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

This store card is almost never better than the Chase Amazon card...unless you spend a ton at Amazon. The Prime fee alone puts you in the hole by a sizable amount to begin with.

I Agree, but if you have prime for whatever reason being movie and shipping then fine, but if signing up for prime just for the card then ya you are in the hole quite a bit!   Also you get special financing with the amazon store card as well aka 0% apr, so it deffinetly does have its benefits, but ya the $ fee on the prime memberhsip is something defffinetly to be considered.  I have had prime for testing purposes and will have prime again due to my ED bonus for a year, but already have the SM.. If I had a TU pull to spare I would probably get the strore card since I will have prime again for free for a year and would love the 0% apr.

Message 82 of 156
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I will agree that the Chase card is better than the store card for people who have no desire to upgrade to Prime.  I have prime for 2 day shipping and movies (and full disclosure, I'm a college student so I get it for half price) and don't carry either Amazon card at this time, so for me the logical choice would be the store card over the Visa because my Prime membership is not related to having the card.  

If I were in the market for either card today, was not a Prime member (and didn't care about the other benefits Prime provides) and can qualify for either one, I would weigh whether or not I could pay for prime with the difference in cash back between the two.  If I couldn't, then I would opt for the Visa.  If I can, then I would opt for the store card assuming I don't need a low general spend card (and probably never look back because that free 2 day shipping has spoiled me so rotten I can't hardly shop anywhere else anymore because waiting is a pain, hahahahaha).

Message 83 of 156
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I Agree, but if you have prime for whatever reason being movie and shipping then fine, but if signing up for prime just for the card then ya you are in the hole quite a bit!   Also you get special financing with the amazon store card as well aka 0% apr, so it deffinetly does have its benefits, but ya the $ fee on the prime memberhsip is something defffinetly to be considered.  I have had prime for testing purposes and will have prime again due to my ED bonus for a year, but already have the SM.. If I had a TU pull to spare I would probably get the strore card since I will have prime again for free for a year and would love the 0% apr.

I plan to keep Amazon Prime long term. The free shipping alone is great and I sometimes use Amazon Instant video too. I think the benefits outweigh the costs for me long term given how much I regularly order things from the site, so the 5% cashback on the Amazon store card just makes it even better for me and gives me more of an incentive to keep Prime.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 84 of 156
Anonymous
Not applicable

My TU just had a nice bump. I really wish I knew if my Sallie Mae accounts were fixed.  How picky is Sync on their UW for Store cards?

Oz

Message 85 of 156
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My TU just had a nice bump. I really wish I knew if my Sallie Mae accounts were fixed.  How picky is Sync on their UW for Store cards?

Oz

Very easy to get. Not picky at all.

Even if you have a score in the 600s, you should be good for Amazon. They started me out at $600 last year with just 6-7 months of credit history and my limit is now $6k.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 86 of 156
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I guess the real question is do I want to try to get a foot in the door with Barclay first on maybe their Apple card (hello Apple Watch) lol.  If I'm going to apply, what's one HP vs two? Smiley Tongue

Oz

Message 87 of 156
onstar
Established Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I plan to keep Amazon Prime long term. The free shipping alone is great and I sometimes use Amazon Instant video too. I think the benefits outweigh the costs for me long term given how much I regularly order things from the site, so the 5% cashback on the Amazon store card just makes it even better for me and gives me more of an incentive to keep Prime.

I've been Amazon Prime since 2007. It's a bargain at $99. Last year, I placed 68 orders from Amazon. In 2011, it was 108 orders (more than 2 per week). From books and electronics to dog food and toilet paper, I do almost all my shopping at Amazon. When there is a sale plus coupon plus S&S, prices on many consumables are often the cheapest you can find anywhere (much cheaper than Costco and you get it shipped to you!).

I guess it's going slightly off topic now, so I'll stop after just this: even if you don't have Prime now, it's well worth paying $99 for it. The 2 day shipping alone would make this worth it. The media package (Amazon Instant Video / Prime Music / Prime Photo) alone would make this worth it. The Kindle Lending Library alone would make this worth it. The 5% back on purchases is just a cherry on top.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 88 of 156
BlueRenew
Contributor

I just checked my email this morning and saw this offer.

It is very tempting. Too bad the offers aren't combined.

Understandable due to the business needing to make money.

I will stick to the 0% promo rates for now.

Maybe when they start offering gift cards I'll switch over.

My 7 Cards

NFCU CashRewards: $7,500 I Discover It: $4,000 I Sallie Mae: $2800 I Amazon Chase Visa: $1000 I Amazon Store Card: $900 I Cap1 Quicksilver1: $750 I Macys Store Card: $600
Message 89 of 156
Anonymous
Not applicable

@onstar wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been Amazon Prime since 2007. It's a bargain at $99. Last year, I placed 68 orders from Amazon. In 2011, it was 108 orders (more than 2 per week). From books and electronics to dog food and toilet paper, I do almost all my shopping at Amazon. When there is a sale plus coupon plus S&S, prices on many consumables are often the cheapest you can find anywhere (much cheaper than Costco and you get it shipped to you!).

I guess it's going slightly off topic now, so I'll stop after just this: even if you don't have Prime now, it's well worth paying $99 for it. The 2 day shipping alone would make this worth it. The media package (Amazon Instant Video / Prime Music / Prime Photo) alone would make this worth it. The Kindle Lending Library alone would make this worth it. The 5% back on purchases is just a cherry on top.

I've had prime since maybe 2010. I would pay full price as it is worth it to me, but I'm an MBA student and can still get the student rate.

It's just another perk for me for a product I already used. I use prime for quick delivery of textbooks (including rentals), so this is a great upgrade for two products I already had. 

Message 90 of 156
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.