Did you mean: 

Amazon.com Visa Question

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amazon.com Visa Question

@kdm31091 wrote:

@core wrote:

Are you saying you're considering closing your Amazon.com account?  Why?  If you don't want to do business with them, then just don't order anything.  Why close the account?

+1 I have no clue why you'd bother closing your account...just don't buy anything on Amazon if you don't want to use Amazon. Pretty simple

Oh oh, I'm getting cognitive dissonance here!  KDM (like myself) always advocates closing a card you don't use.   So why is this different.

Message 11 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@core wrote:

Are you saying you're considering closing your Amazon.com account?  Why?  If you don't want to do business with them, then just don't order anything.  Why close the account?

+1 I have no clue why you'd bother closing your account...just don't buy anything on Amazon if you don't want to use Amazon. Pretty simple

Oh oh, I'm getting cognitive dissonance here!  KDM (like myself) always advocates closing a card you don't use.   So why is this different.

Well, this is a bit different. OP just doesn't want to use Amazon, and I have no clue why they'd bother closing their Amazon.com account instead of just not using the account

The actual Visa can still be used without purchasing on Amazon and could be useful if you have no other 2% card for drugstores etc. However if OP has other options for 2%, then yeah not much point in keeping the Visa open at all if they don't want to use Amazon at all.

Message 12 of 17
core
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:
Oh oh, I'm getting cognitive dissonance here!  KDM (like myself) always advocates closing a card you don't use.

Not the Amazon card, we are talking about the Amazon.com buyer account itself.  A silly web site account. I will refrain from making any comments about KDM's approach to credit. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@core wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:
Oh oh, I'm getting cognitive dissonance here!  KDM (like myself) always advocates closing a card you don't use.

Not the Amazon card, we are talking about the Amazon.com buyer account itself.  A silly web site account. I will refrain from making any comments about KDM's approach to credit. Smiley Happy

I understand OP is talking about the account.  That really is my point.   In the case of CCs, some people advocate never closing them (unless they have an AF), either put periodic spend or let the issuer close for non-use.  Whereas others, including KDM (and me) argue that there is no point in keeping stuff you don't use.    The Amazon.com account is sfuff the OP will no longer be using.   So.... why is is a "junk" website account different from a "jumk" credit card account so that one should be kept open and not the other?

Message 14 of 17
core
Valued Contributor

Well LTL, the only legit arguments I've heard for closing unused AF-free credit cards are:

1. Declutter / so you don't have to monitor for fraud

2. Reducing total avail credit

Neither apply here.  Amazon.com is not going to start charging stuff to your account that you have to monitor.  And their recent security upgrades mean that someone who has your Amazon password can't charge stuff on your cards anyway.  (Gawd I hate that "upgrade", I blame the streaming-watchers and account sharing.)  If one is worried about CC fraud then just erase all the CC's from your account.

But of course that doesn't make the same statement as closing your entire account while talking to a CSR in India who "really" cares one way or the other.  And each closure is of course personally reviewed by the CEO and he's going to reach out to each former customer and find out what Amazon did wrong to lose their business and make it right.  Yeah, that's the ticket.

Message 15 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@core wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I understand OP is talking about the account.  That really is my point.   In the case of CCs, some people advocate never closing them (unless they have an AF), either put periodic spend or let the issuer close for non-use.  Whereas others, including KDM (and me) argue that there is no point in keeping stuff you don't use.    The Amazon.com account is sfuff the OP will no longer be using.   So.... why is is a "junk" website account different from a "jumk" credit card account so that one should be kept open and not the other?

Yeah I mean if OP is really truly not going to use Amazon anymore, there's no point in keeping their account open, but it's also not hurting anything and unlike an unused credit card, it's not tying up available credit limits vs income, it doesn't have to be monitored for fraud, etc, so it really doesn't matter one way or the other

Message 16 of 17
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

One can always move the credit limit to another card.
Signature needs updating
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.