Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon question

My fiance is interested in the Amazon card. If he applies for the Visa and is declined, will they give him the option of the store card using the same HP? Assuming he qualifies for one and not the other.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon question

No they can't use the same HP cause it's 2 different companies. The Visa is through Chase, and the store card is through Synchrony. In my opinion, the store card is better if you are a Prime member.

Message 2 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

My fiance is interested in the Amazon card. If he applies for the Visa and is declined, will they give him the option of the store card using the same HP? Assuming he qualifies for one and not the other.

This is a good question.  I've never heard of anybody getting an offer for the Amazon store card after apping and being declined for the Amazon Visa since they are offered from two different lenders.  The Amazon store card is from Synchrony, while the Amazon Visa card is through Chase.

Honestly, the Amazon store card is a better deal if you're looking to make significant Amazon purchases.  The store card gives you 5% off purchases, and over a certain dollar amount you can opt for special financing (in lieu of the 5%).  The Amazon Visa card through Chase can be used anywhere Visa is accepted, but you only get 3% off your Amazon purchases, and I've never heard of any 'special' financing options with the Visa. 

Other folks might have different opinions, but I would tell him to go for the store card.  If he's wanting a Visa, there are better options than the Amazon Visa, but of course this is just is my 2¢.  Smiley Very Happy

Edit:  5% off with the store card only applies if you are a Prime member.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No they can't use the same HP cause it's 2 different companies. The Visa is through Chase, and the store card is through Synchrony. In my opinion, the store card is better if you are a Prime member.

And... duh. I totally knew that. Smiley LOL I need sleep. Thank you though.

He'd prefer the Visa, but not sure if he'd qualify... although Chase does like him.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a good question.  I've never heard of anybody getting an offer for the Amazon store card after apping and being declined for the Amazon Visa since they are offered from two different lenders.  The Amazon store card is from Synchrony, while the Amazon Visa card is through Chase.

Honestly, the Amazon store card is a better deal if you're looking to make significant Amazon purchases.  The store card gives you 5% off purchases, and over a certain dollar amount you can opt for special financing (in lieu of the 5%).  The Amazon Visa card through Chase can be used anywhere Visa is accepted, but you only get 3% off your Amazon purchases, and I've never heard of any 'special' financing options with the Visa. 

Other folks might have different opinions, but I would tell him to go for the store card.  If he's wanting a Visa, there are better options than the Amazon Visa, but of course this is just is my 2¢.  Smiley Very Happy

Edit:  5% off with the store card only applies if you are a Prime member.

Thanks for the insight! Smiley Very Happy I guess we'll have to think about this because we're going back and forth on which one we prefer. The special financing could definitely be useful!

Message 5 of 9
ddemari
Super Contributor

When i had the amazon store card there were zero perks and they never offered me any special financing in the 15 months i had it.

I have the chase amazon visa and i actually put a lot of spend on it.

I wouldnt recommend the synch amazon card to anyone. Buts thats just me.
Message 6 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd agree, especially with the 5% cash back.   There's also special promotional financing for purchases over $150, so that's a great feature.

If OP's SO wants a major CC for use at Amazon, Sallie Mae MC is an option worth considering.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 9
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@ddemari wrote:
When i had the amazon store card there were zero perks and they never offered me any special financing in the 15 months i had it.

I have the chase amazon visa and i actually put a lot of spend on it.

I wouldnt recommend the synch amazon card to anyone. Buts thats just me.

its allways availible, spend over $150 in a single purchase, and 6 months interest free financing, over $600 IIRC 12 months free financing. Do it far too often my self,  the trap is when you have multiple deals at the same time, and then you get to make large payments to pay them down to 0 before each 6 or 12 month deal ends, if you miss the date all accrued interest on purchase you haven't paid are slapped on the account, which is not good. 24% on $400 for a year is $100 added on, because you missed it by a single day.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am always buying stuff on amazon, do they do pre-qualify and are they bk friendly? I might want to apply once I am discharged. So the store card you can only use on amazon and the other card can be used anyplace that takes visa/mc?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.