Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon sign-up offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon sign-up offer

I just went to amazon to buy some books, and I noticed that they now offer me a $50 cashback bonus if I apply for their Visa card. I didn't try my luck, so I can't tell about what the conditions might be. It says the offer is by invitation only, so I'm not sure how common that is.

I can now understand how people ruin their scores during the holiday shopping season. It's hard to pass up on all these dangling carrots that help you save some dollars.

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon sign-up offer

@Anonymous wrote:

Just an update to this: I actually caved in because I bought something expensive on amazon and applied for the card on Dec 30. Well, I got a 30 day notice Smiley Indifferent. That looks like a wasted application.

I'm not sure whether I should call and ask. Unfortunately, I didn't print out any details of that web application, so I don't really know whether there was any phone number listed to call. Would you call or just wait?

Chase usually gives the 30 day message. It's up to you if you want to call. It may speed things up if you do.

The automated number to check status is 1-800-955-9900

The number to speak to someone in the lending dept about your application is 1-888-245-0625

Good luck!

Message 7 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Dangling carrot, uh huh, but I love my Amazon Visa.  I earned 150 bucks back in the first month or so.  That thing is a cash cow for the first 90 days, and after that it's not too bad (provided you spend some serious money at Amazon like I do).

I think I had a 30 dollar sign-up bonus, with a points boost as well.  (Whew, 50 bucks would have been nice!)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I took the bait last Christmas season.  It sounds like the offer was the same.  I got $50 off a $62 purchase and free shipping to boot, yay!  That was before I started obsessing about my scores.  I'm still glad I did it as prior to that my highest limit was $2500.  The Chase Amazon doubled for $5k.  The rewards aren't really great since I don't shop at Amazon much so it is mostly used for small purchases to keep it active.

I noticed WM has 0% on purchases for 15 months for a limited time for new cardholders or something to that effect.  Fortunately that is not so tempting as I don't have any big purchases to make. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 17
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I have never noticed being offered one  Smiley Sad
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

So they do this all the time? I never noticed it, because I shop at amazon all over the year, but for some odd reason never before Christmas Smiley Very Happy.

MidnightVoice wrote:
I have never noticed being offered one  Smiley Sad

Hmm, it showed on top of the list of things in my cart. On the front page, it just mentions the usual $30.

I still haven't decided whether I should apply. Probably not, as I just got those Discover and Costco Amex cards in October.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update to this: I actually caved in because I bought something expensive on amazon and applied for the card on Dec 30. Well, I got a 30 day notice Smiley Indifferent. That looks like a wasted application.

I'm not sure whether I should call and ask. Unfortunately, I didn't print out any details of that web application, so I don't really know whether there was any phone number listed to call. Would you call or just wait?

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase usually gives the 30 day message. It's up to you if you want to call. It may speed things up if you do.

The automated number to check status is 1-800-955-9900

The number to speak to someone in the lending dept about your application is 1-888-245-0625

Good luck!

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the numbers!  But if it's really normal for them to ponder their decision for 30 days, I might as well wait. I would have preferred an instant decision with a bill reduced by their promotional offer, but that opportunity is gone now, anyway. I don't mind waiting a bit until I will go on my next spending spree Smiley Wink.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome. You can call the automated line without having to speak with anyone if you are curious. They do take sometime to update it, so it's not in real time always. You can just enter your information and follow the prompts.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called the automatic line, and the card seems to be approved with a whopping $400 CL Smiley Very Happy. OK, I guess I need some tradelines with 0 balances Smiley Wink.

Edit: On the other hand, the CL is probably high enough if I use the card strictly for amazon.

Message Edited by Ulan on 01-07-2009 10:45 PM
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.