Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amer MR vs Chase UR for loyalty travel rewards/points

tag
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

Amer MR vs Chase UR for loyalty travel rewards/points

So as of right now, the only Amex cards that I have that earn MR points is the ED and the regualr Blue card(?). As far as Chase, I have the Freedom and CSP plus I bank with Chase. My question is, which of the two prime CC points have better royalty partners (Marriot, Hyatt, HH)? My plan is to travel to Asia when I graduate (July 2016). Oh and I'm not really a big spender.. ($800 average/month).

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Amer MR vs Chase UR for royalty travel rewards/points

@enxinas wrote:

So as of right now, the only Amex cards that I have that earn MR points is the ED and the regualr Blue card(?). As far as Chase, I have the Freedom and CSP plus I bank with Chase. My question is, which of the two prime CC points have better royalty partners (Marriot, Hyatt, HH)? My plan is to travel to Asia when I graduate (July 2016). Oh and I'm not really a big spender.. ($800 average/month).

correct me if i am wrong but the regular blue isn't the same MR points as ED because you cant trasnfer to partners. I may be wrong on that. Now CSP+freedom is an really good combo imo. I think UR has better value when it comes to hotels namely Hyatt. Marriot and Hilton have horrible value less than 1 cpp. 

You really should look at airline partners each program transfers to so you can see which airlines would be most beneficial to you . 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@enxinas wrote:

correct me if i am wrong but the regular blue isn't the same MR points as ED because you cant trasnfer to partners. I may be wrong on that. Now CSP+freedom is an really good combo imo. I think UR has better value when it comes to hotels namely Hyatt. Marriot and Hilton have horrible value less than 1 cpp. 

You really should look at airline partners each program transfers to so you can see which airlines would be most beneficial to you . 

The Blue earns MRE points, but with a "proper" MR card, like ED, they can be pooled and can be transferred

Message 3 of 42
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@enxinas wrote:

I honestly don't know if the regular blue is the same as the ED card.. Yeah I'll check into that. I pretty much decided with Hyatt, but I need opinion of the frequent flyers and travelers

Message 4 of 42
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@enxinas wrote:

The Blue earns MRE points, but with a "proper" MR card, like ED, they can be pooled and can be transferred

I felt it was something like that but wasn't sure so its similar to an freedom or Thankyoupreferred in that respect. 

Message 5 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I felt it was something like that but wasn't sure so its similar to an freedom or Thankyoupreferred in that respect. 

Yes, prioir to the ED, the Blue was the way to save your MR points when you cancelled all your charge cards.   However, you couldn't transfer them until you got a charge card again.

ED is better in every way.

But yes, like Freedom in that respect  (But Freedom has some value on its own, Blue much less so!)

Message 6 of 42
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Yes, prioir to the ED, the Blue was the way to save your MR points when you cancelled all your charge cards.   However, you couldn't transfer them until you got a charge card again.

But yes, like Freedom in that respect  (But Freedom has some value on its own, Blue much less so!)

So from what I'm reading, the CSP+Freedom (with checking) is the best to earn points for traveling?

And this may the pushing it, but Hyatt vs Marriot vs HHonnors? I signed up for the three just in case.

Message 7 of 42
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@enxinas wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

So from what I'm reading, the CSP+Freedom (with checking) is the best to earn points for traveling?

And this may the pushing it, but Hyatt vs Marriot vs HHonnors? I signed up for the three just in case.

Okay, my time to shine on question 2! Smiley Happy

1)It is a pretty good way to earn points for travelling (no need for checking anymore, they nixed the Chase exclusives program), but it's not what it used to be before the nerfs last year. And, at 800/month I think the general consensus would be to get either the Fidelity Amex or Double Cash and not have your rewards be completely offset by the AF on the CSP.

2)Where will you be travelling? Hyatt is probably the most rewarding hotel reward program at this time, but it is highly geographically limited at this time (around 700 hotels globally). HHonors and Marriott Rewards are, for the most part, 6 in one hand and a half dozen in the other (both having 4,000+ hotels worldwide, I believe Hilton is slightly bigger right now, but for our sakes are equal). Both chains tend to have hotels where the other one does, and rewards are similar. I know that the general consensus is that Hilton gold is the best mid-level hotel status for the value it provided (vs. how easy it can be to get). There's only one Hyatt card (not sure if it offers a free night), there is the Marriott Rewards card w/an AF but has a free night/year and I believe offers silver status. Hilton has both the Amex Surpass and the Citi Reserve, since you wouldn't be hitting the 10k annual spend on the reserve for the free night, IF you were to get a hilton card, the best card if travelling domestically would be the Surpass ($75 AF, current offer is 80k Hhonors points/3k spend, and Hilton Gold status).

I guess to further help with your question, I would need to know about how many nights/year would you be staying in a hotel, and whether it would be say...a Hampton/Fairfield Inn vs. a Hilton/Marriott.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 8 of 42
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@enxinas wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I am not sure if chase checking offer is still around i thought they removed it last year sometime. If you book tickets thru UR mall you get 2x i think. So if you are buying tickets with "cash" then its better. Also CSP has no ftf when ED and freedom both have FTF. 

I am not the biggest fan of hotel cards and especially hotel points, since both Hilton and Marriot have an lot less value. You do get free stays at category 1-4 hotels normally though, which can be nice. 

Message 9 of 42
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@enxinas wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Okay, my time to shine on question 2! Smiley Happy

1)It is a pretty good way to earn points for travelling (no need for checking anymore, they nixed the Chase exclusives program), but it's not what it used to be before the nerfs last year. And, at 800/month I think the general consensus would be to get either the Fidelity Amex or Double Cash and not have your rewards be completely offset by the AF on the CSP.

2)Where will you be travelling? Hyatt is probably the most rewarding hotel reward program at this time, but it is highly geographically limited at this time (around 700 hotels globally). HHonors and Marriott Rewards are, for the most part, 6 in one hand and a half dozen in the other (both having 4,000+ hotels worldwide, I believe Hilton is slightly bigger right now, but for our sakes are equal). Both chains tend to have hotels where the other one does, and rewards are similar. I know that the general consensus is that Hilton gold is the best mid-level hotel status for the value it provided (vs. how easy it can be to get). There's only one Hyatt card (not sure if it offers a free night), there is the Marriott Rewards card w/an AF but has a free night/year and I believe offers silver status. Hilton has both the Amex Surpass and the Citi Reserve, since you wouldn't be hitting the 10k annual spend on the reserve for the free night, IF you were to get a hilton card, the best card if travelling domestically would be the Surpass ($75 AF, current offer is 80k Hhonors points/3k spend, and Hilton Gold status).

I guess to further help with your question, I would need to know about how many nights/year would you be staying in a hotel, and whether it would be say...a Hampton/Fairfield Inn vs. a Hilton/Marriott.

1.) I actually have the Double Cash as well, but I used it for the 0% 15 month apr.. I'll check the Fidelity Amex. Smiley Happy

and here's a screenie of my recent statement. I feel like it's the same.

Untitled-1.jpg

2.) I'm going back to the Philippines to be exact, but I also plan to travel domestically when I get back (and Europe in the future)

But dang, I have to reread your reply haha. I'm new to hotel rewards/points! lol

3.) As of right now, I don't have plans on staying on a hotel, but if I do, probably 1 - 2 weeks worth of stays? As far as Hampton/Fairfield Inn vs. a Hilton/Marriott, I honestly don't know for I don't really travel (I plan to in the future) Also I want to stay on a budget with occasional luxury stays.

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.