Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amer MR vs Chase UR for loyalty travel rewards/points

tag
Jerryf08
New Contributor

Re: Amer MR vs Chase UR for royalty travel rewards/points

The Hyatt Card does not have a FTF. Also the fact that you can get two free nights at ANY Hyatt is hella worth it. I know interational Hyatt's can get really pricey at around $800+ a night for the very luxurious ones. Next, Hyatt points have a great value at around 1.5c per point and typically can go up to 3c per point. Also you do get a free night every anniversary year at any category 1-4 Hyatt for only a $75 Annual Fee. There are are several category 3 and 4 Hyatt where this could come at a great value. For example, Grand Hyatt San Antonio (Category 3) is typically around $200 a night except for Sundays, and you really only paid $75. There are probably better examples out there but I'm more familiar with Grand Hyatt San Antonio. Lastly, you do get automatically Platinum status.

Edit: Also if you do decide to apply for the Hyatt card, If you pretend to make a reservation through hyatt, there should be an ad on the page that will also give a $50 statement on top of the free nights after meeting the spend requirement. (You do not need to make a reservation).

Chase Freedom: $5000, CSP: $12800 Chase Hyatt: $5000, Amazon Visa: $500, Amex BCE: $23200, Discover IT: $3600, Walmart Disc: $7500, BOA Cash $5000, Best Buy: $3500
Message 21 of 42
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Jerryf08 wrote:

The Hyatt Card does not have a FTF. Also the fact that you can get two free nights at ANY Hyatt is hella worth it. I know interational Hyatt's can get really pricey at around $800+ a night for the very luxurious ones. Next, Hyatt points have a great value at around 1.5c per point and typically can go up to 3c per point. Also you do get a free night every anniversary year at any category 1-4 Hyatt for only a $75 Annual Fee. There are are several category 3 and 4 Hyatt where this could come at a great value. For example, Grand Hyatt San Antonio (Category 3) is typically around $200 a night except for Sundays, and you really only paid $75. There are probably better examples out there but I'm more familiar with Grand Hyatt San Antonio. Lastly, you do get automatically Platinum status.

Edit: Also if you do decide to apply for the Hyatt card, If you pretend to make a reservation through hyatt, there should be an ad on the page that will also give a $50 statement on top of the free nights after meeting the spend requirement. (You do not need to make a reservation).

That's some pretty sweet perks, and definitely worth it if you travel often to places where Hyatt has locations. I definitely agree that Hyatt points can be extremely valuable, and that card definitely brings awesome perks to the table!

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 22 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@enxinas wrote:

1.) I actually have the Double Cash as well, but I used it for the 0% 15 month apr.. I'll check the Fidelity Amex. Smiley Happy

and here's a screenie of my recent statement. I feel like it's the same.

Untitled-1.jpg

So you are still on the "old" program which was meant to end by the end of 2013.  Good stuff!

Message 23 of 42
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@enxinas wrote:

1.) I actually have the Double Cash as well, but I used it for the 0% 15 month apr.. I'll check the Fidelity Amex. Smiley Happy

Untitled-1.jpg

So you are still on the "old" program which was meant to end by the end of 2013.  Good stuff!

Wait...LTL, if I don't see the "+10% Extra points per $1 you spend" line on my statements (have had Chase checking since 9/13), will I not get my 10% dividend for 2014? ....Chase is about to get a nastygram...

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 24 of 42
red259
Super Contributor

@Jerryf08 wrote:

Wish I knew this trick when apping. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 25 of 42
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Jerryf08 wrote:

Last time i checked wasn't any hyatt i thought it was only category 1-5 that you were eligible to get free stay with, so that doesn't include most park hyatt and andaz hotels.

Edit: Looks like you are eligible for 2 free night at any hyatt, when did they change that, the additional free night was for category 1-4 hotel, interesting.  

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 26 of 42
Jerryf08
New Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Jerryf08 wrote:

Last time i checked wasn't any hyatt i thought it was only category 1-5 that you were eligible to get free stay with, so that doesn't include most park hyatt and andaz hotels.

Edit: Looks like you are eligible for 2 free night at any hyatt, when did they change that, the additional free night was for category 1-4 hotel, interesting.  

When I apped a year ago it was still 2 free nights, I'm about to hit my anniversary. I'm not sure if maybe it was different prior to that. I know the sign on bonus for Marriot includes a free category 1-5 after sign up, and free category 1-4 at anniversary.

I also wish I knew about the $50 statement prior to applying, I didn't find out till afterwards as well.

Chase Freedom: $5000, CSP: $12800 Chase Hyatt: $5000, Amazon Visa: $500, Amex BCE: $23200, Discover IT: $3600, Walmart Disc: $7500, BOA Cash $5000, Best Buy: $3500
Message 27 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jerryf08 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Jerryf08 wrote:

When I apped a year ago it was still 2 free nights, I'm about to hit my anniversary. I'm not sure if maybe it was different prior to that. I know the sign on bonus for Marriot includes a free category 1-5 after sign up, and free category 1-4 at anniversary.

I also wish I knew about the $50 statement prior to applying, I didn't find out till afterwards as well.

Marriott is 1-4 first year, 1-5 thereafter.

Message 28 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@enxinas wrote:

Untitled-1.jpg

Wait...LTL, if I don't see the "+10% Extra points per $1 you spend" line on my statements (have had Chase checking since 9/13), will I not get my 10% dividend for 2014? ....Chase is about to get a nastygram...

LT_L:  there is/are two programs: the old one, which gives a 10% bonus on each purchase (i.e. 1.1 points per $, PLUS 10 points per purchase, regardless of amount).  This encouraged people to make lots of small purchases, and in extremem cases lots and lots of microtransactions  (so 100 1c purchases would gain you 1000 points for the 100 purchases plus 1.1 points for the purchase, so over $10 for a $1 total).

The new program is 10% bonus all all points.  For some, this is better because you get the bonus on the extra 5x points as well.   And stops abuse/clever manipulation.

So if you don't have those 10% Extra points per $1 and 10 points for every purchase, that means you are on the new program and will get the 10% bonus for 2014.

Message 29 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@enxinas wrote:

Untitled-1.jpg

LT_L:  there is/are two programs: the old one, which gives a 10% bonus on each purchase (i.e. 1.1 points per $, PLUS 10 points per purchase, regardless of amount).  This encouraged people to make lots of small purchases, and in extremem cases lots and lots of microtransactions  (so 100 1c purchases would gain you 1000 points for the 100 purchases plus 1.1 points for the purchase, so over $10 for a $1 total).

The new program is 10% bonus all all points.  For some, this is better because you get the bonus on the extra 5x points as well.   And stops abuse/clever manipulation.

So if you don't have those 10% Extra points per $1 and 10 points for every purchase, that means you are on the new program and will get the 10% bonus for 2014.

I don't understand. How do you get that 10% extra pts? Old program?

Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.