Wata

Amercan Express Platinum Qualification

I enrolled for Gold in Feb. 13, and if AMEX agrees, would like to upgrade to platinum. My experian is 727, have 2 other credit cards from Apr. 12, and have plenty of cash in the bank. Do I need to wait for minimum one year after enrollment of Amex gold?
Valued Contributor
dodfire

Re: Amercan Express Platinum Qualification

Welcome to the Forums!!!

If you want to upgrade you will have to wait 13 months.

*8/10/13
09Lexie

Welcome to the forum!

Dodfire is correct! The CARD Act is the reason.
Established Contributor
swpopham

that is not true, we had our first prg for 3 months before it started popping up saying upgrade to platinum now, click here!!! all you have to do is call

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Valued Contributor
dodfire

swpopham wrote:

that is not true, we had our first prg for 3 months before it started popping up saying upgrade to platinum now, click here!!! all you have to do is call

And did you upgrade to the platinum after you got the "pop-up" at 3 months??

*8/10/13
Established Contributor
swpopham

my wife did on hers. The card act applies to credit cards not charge cards.

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Valued Contributor
dodfire

swpopham wrote:

I guess you were a special case or very lucky.

I tried numerous times, both online after getting the "popup" and also called a total of 3 times.

Each time was told that due to the card act, "annual fees" that it could not be done until the 13th month.

In the end, I had to apply for the platinum card.

*8/10/13
Established Contributor
swpopham

dodfire wrote:

swpopham wrote:

I guess you were a special case or very lucky.

I tried numerous times, both online after getting the "popup" and also called a total of 3 times.

Each time was told that due to the card act, "annual fees" that it could not be done until the 13th month.

In the end, I had to apply for the platinum card.

You might be right. We might have done it right before the act went in to effect also.

OP just call and ask.

Frequent Contributor
frugalQ

Same with me, dodfire! I got the popup msg a couple of months after getting the Green in Apr 2012. When I tried, it said I wasn't eligible. When I called, the rep said the same.
Capital One Platinum 0/2.5K - AmEx Green NPSL - Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 0/7K - Amex BCP 0/8.5K - Chase Freedom 0/3K - Discover IT 0/6.5K - LOC 0/2.5K
Wata

Thanks all. One of the reason I want to apply for platinum is that I heard credit score will rise. Will try to call Amex.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}