Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Airlines card confused

tag
desie25
Valued Member

American Airlines card confused

My friend who was denied for citi just got approved for an american airlines credit card not the visa I thought it was also by citi are there different guidelines? I do not know about the card and she asked me about it 

Starting Score: 522
Current Score: 625
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Re: American Airlines card confused

AA has an AA only card without the MC or Visa wide reach. It's sort of like a store specific card.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 2 of 10
desie25
Valued Member

Thank you that is what she got approved for I just did not understand if it was from citi since they denied her last week

Message 3 of 10
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

It is underwritten by Citi.  Probably comparable to a gas credit card that's not a Visa/MC

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 4 of 10
haiti222
Contributor

It is run by the division that runs the gas cards. This was the "bad bank" division of Citibank that was going to be sold off, but a couple of months ago, they announced that they would keep it. It does seem to be easier to get than the Visa/MC cards. The advantages to the card are free six month financing of purchases over $150 and you can use it for baggage and change fees. I have had one about 7 months with frequent use, but no CLI so far. Got a $1000 limit after having to have a phone interview by UW.

Message 5 of 10
desie25
Valued Member

Thank you I was confused since she did get denied citi 

Message 6 of 10
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

I've had that card since 1995 & only used it when I flew AA.....but that's been a minute ! Now I just keep it in case I will fly & it's not closed....although it's not been used in about 5 years. I typically use a better card for bonuses,and have only used that AA card with special promotions as the interest rate is KILLER !

SisterGirl

SisterGirl
Message 7 of 10
Epcot
Valued Contributor

I also have the AA card and I use it quite often. The 6 months deferred interest is a good option to have. I used to use my Citi AAdvantage cards more until AA changed the Million Miler accumulation to BIS miles only.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 8 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@desie25 wrote:

My friend who was denied for citi just got approved for an american airlines credit card not the visa I thought it was also by citi are there different guidelines? I do not know about the card and she asked me about it 

There is definitely a difference between the store card approvals and the CITI MC or Visa.     I was denied for CITI Visa but got 2 store cards with good limits last summer.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you still get bonus miles with this type of card like the visa version?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.