Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Eagle Store card ?

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

American Eagle Store card ?

Can it ever be upgraded to the visa? Just applied for it and got the store card. Only a $420 limit. Guess I'll cancel it if it will never convert 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: American Eagle Store card ?

@Closingracer99 wrote:

Can it ever be upgraded to the visa? Just applied for it and got the store card. Only a $420 limit. Guess I'll cancel it if it will never convert 

Yes, it wil upgrade to Visa if you use it frequently. It will pop-up the upgrade offer when you log into the account. At the same time, they might give you CLI.

Ron.

Message 2 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

Even if it can't be converted, you already took the HP and AAOA ding so you may as well see if there's any use you can get out of it.

But I do think you can conver it later.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. I had the AEO store card, made one purchase on it, then after having it for 6 months a little upgrade screen popped up on my account one day when I was logged in. I accepted and was upgraded to a 5k AEO Visa.

That may be an exception, however- I'd say take the good advice saying that you should use often and make frequent payments to maximize chances of an upgrade. I've never had that kind of fortunate experience be duplicated with any other card I have so I consider it just a rather lucky experience. 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if this was also a factor, but I had a 2-year prior relationship with Synchrony Bank by having their Wal-mart card and a solid payment history on that. Synchrony issues both AEO Visa and Walmart card.

Message 5 of 13
ddemari
Super Contributor

u can call credit solutions for a bump in the limit. they have been nice lately. but u have to wait for the offer for visa to pop up 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just applied and got the AE store card tonight...SL $150.00 as well Smiley Sad  Better than a decline.  I did call the backdoor/credit analyst number and no dice on an increase.  I thought...hmmm I have a Walmart card with a $3500.00 limit, but I can't get AE up to $500.00? I know I should have "shot the moon", but I figured $500.00 was plenty to spend there for back to school...pfft...lol

Message 7 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just applied and got the AE store card tonight...SL $150.00 as well Smiley Sad  Better than a decline.  I did call the backdoor/credit analyst number and no dice on an increase.  I thought...hmmm I have a Walmart card with a $3500.00 limit, but I can't get AE up to $500.00? I know I should have "shot the moon", but I figured $500.00 was plenty to spend there for back to school...pfft...lol

Well, getting an increase right after approval is pretty unlikely. It's not like your file changed in the 2 minutes between approval and your phone call. You have to show history.

$150 isn't gonna buy much at AE though, I guess, so I do sympathize.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You will need to run charges, many of them to get increases.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't lose hope - my AEO limit on the store card was originally pretty low (I think $250 or $300), and I was very close to closing it entirely when I got uograded to VISA. You have to have the box pop up for the upgrade when you are logged in to the account, and it probably won't happen until you use it heavily and have the card for a year. Patience!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.