Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express 3xcli before 61 days

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express 3xcli before 61 days

@TheFate wrote:
So it's 61 days starting once activated of card or approval?

no.

after the end of may/june1st the rules have changed. you can request a CLI at activation. if your scores are good with goo aaoa low inqs, go for it. if you dont think you will get it, then wait a few months. if denied wait 90 days. if approved, can request again in 6 months. theres a whole guide here on the process but it needs some updating:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/18110...

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really wish people here would stop focusing on 61 days as if it has some meaning.  It doesn't at all.  You can try at 58 days or 52 days, it just doesn't matter.  Plenty of people here have been approved at activation or shortly thereafter.  The 61 days is not now nor ever was some guarantee that your CLI request would be approved.  Plenty of people were and still are declined after waiting. Your CLI request will be approved if your credit file supports it and it doesn't matter whether it's 61 days or 161 days after your initial approval.  

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheFate wrote:
So it's 61 days starting once activated of card or approval?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/18110...

article is half way updated.

after june 1st, the 61 days doesnt matter. if your inqs are low, aaoa high, and scores are above 680 then go for it. if you are doubting it, then wait

Message 13 of 24
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I really wish people here would stop focusing on 61 days as if it has some meaning.  It doesn't at all.  You can try at 58 days or 52 days, it just doesn't matter.  Plenty of people here have been approved at activation or shortly thereafter.  The 61 days is not now nor ever was some guarantee that your CLI request would be approved.  Plenty of people were and still are declined after waiting. Your CLI request will be approved if your credit file supports it and it doesn't matter whether it's 61 days or 161 days after your initial approval.  

+1

To people that want to wait, instead of waiting for a specific date, check your report for Amex SPs, they will use the last SP they have from EX.

There is no point to wait 61 days if they did the SP on day 15, you just waisted many days. If you think that your report/usage/internal score will improve, then wait, but check for Amex SPs.

Message 14 of 24
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

My son requested CLI as soon as he received the card. You need 4-digit code in the front of the card to request it online. He asked for increase from $2K to $10K, but was approved instantly for $6K max and he accepted. 61 days is no more.
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

To people that want to wait, instead of waiting for a specific date, check your report for Amex SPs, they will use the last SP they have from EX.

There is no point to wait 61 days if they did the SP on day 15, you just waisted many days. If you think that your report/usage/internal score will improve, then wait, but check for Amex SPs.

Very good points about the SPs as they do not pull a new report for the CLI request.  

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

No need to wait fo 61 days. Look for a SP after amex appoves ou, then request a CLI. My wife had a 25pt change 2 weeks after she got approved for her BCP. She went from 3k to 9k after the first statement. My friend did the same for his SPG. Went from 7.5 to 22k in about 40 days. If you have good scores or a significant change, then there is no need to wait. 

Message 17 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

One month after I got my card, I tried for a CLI and was denied due to a "previous relationship with American Express".  I had a BK7 back in 2000, and Amex was included.  It didn't stop them from allowing me to get 'back in' with a new account, but it was the only reason they cited for denying my CLI.

In my case, I'm actually glad I didn't wait the entire 61-days, since it just started the 90-day wait for me to try again earlier than it would have been.  (I'm fairly sure my results wouldn't have been any different had I waited another three weeks).  I intend to try again when my 90 days is up, and if declined again I'll wait until around the holidays and try again.  Since there's no HP there's no harm in trying.

Key take-away:  Don't take the 3X-CLI for granted. 

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obtained 3x after looking for their routine soft pull and first statement. Went from 2500 to 7500. Carrying balance but paid down to 30% of total line before hitting the button. No lates on CRA with only 2 1/2 years of oldest and 6m AAoA.
Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

i apped for the edc and bce at the same time and when I received both cards a week apart I requested the 3x cli and was approved on both cards. My scores were over 690 at the time. 5 baddies on my cr. 

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.