Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express AA Due to Transaction Type

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

American Express AA Due to Transaction Type

Has anybody else ever heard of American Express taking AA against somebody based on what they used their card to purchase?

Edited to add:  Other than MS, or other activities specifically against the "rules" in the cardmember agreement fine print.

Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express AA Due to Transaction Type

Yes, when a cardholder MS's. 

Message 2 of 54
ddemari
Super Contributor

there a certain trigger purchases that can offset an FR. usually dealing with gift cards or some other type of MS. 

Message 3 of 54
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Has anybody else ever heard of American Express taking AA against somebody based on what they used their card to purchase?

Could be donution?

Message 4 of 54
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@heyarrnold wrote:

I guess I should have been more specific... MS is likely a violation of the 'fine print' somewhere, since it's artificially obtaining points/cash that one otherwise shouldn't be eligible for.

I'm talking about things like liquor stores, gun shops, etc.

There's a thread in the smorgasboard about how it's OK to buy guns with an Amex, and folks speculate how you shouldn't use your Amex at a liquor store.  The 'lastest' is someone having an FR and during the phone conversation he was asked about a political contribution he had made using his card.

I'm just trying to determine if this is a real 'thing' or just coincidence and bad luck.

Message 5 of 54
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

I guess I should have been more specific... MS is likely a violation of the 'fine print' somewhere, since it's artificially obtaining points/cash that one otherwise shouldn't be eligible for.

There's a thread in the smorgasboard about how it's OK to buy guns with an Amex, and folks speculate how you shouldn't use your Amex at a liquor store.  The 'lastest' is someone having an FR and during the phone conversation he was asked about a political contribution he had made using his card.

I'm just trying to determine if this is a real 'thing' or just coincidence and bad luck.

I don't think so. I've used my Amex at many liquor stores, and I've also paid off a car with it. So far, no issues. 

Message 6 of 54
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@peaceonearth wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Could be donution?

I wonder about that as well, but here's the thing about donations... the person getting the donation has to have a merchant agreement either with Amex or with somebody else that has an agreement with Amex... in other words, it's a bit disingenuous for Amex to take AA on someone for making a donation, when they are seemingly OK with the person/organizaton receiving the donation.

Message 7 of 54
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@heyarrnold wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

I don't think so. I've used my Amex at many liquor stores, and I've also paid off a car with it. So far, no issues. 

I've never used mine to pay off a car, however "back in the day" I was known to use mine at the state store every few weeks, and I never had issues, either. 

During this same time frame I paid off a firearm purchase at a pawn shop as well (father's anniversary gift from my step mom) and there were no questions asked after that, either.  I was 'too stupid' to be concerned back then, though... LOL

Since the purchases I'm talking about were made during the period when Amex 'bucketed' folks based on the ZIP code of where they shopped, perhaps I was already 'bucketed' low to begin with... Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

I find it strange that what you bought from an Amex authorized merchant would cause an AA. If they don't approve products a business sells, then mabe that business shouldn't be an authorized merchant. Years ago, when I had an Amex issued card, I fell under and AA and got a CLD because I had used my card in Las Vegas. It was not even a gambling related transaction, just that I used the card in that city and that spooked them. The rep told me the reason for the CLD was because I used my card in a venue where it could have been potentially used for gambling. Crazy! The way I found out about it was when I tried to buy gas and was declined. They balance chased me all the way down to my balance. It took about 6 months to get my limit increased.

Message 9 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

I've never used mine to pay off a car, however "back in the day" I was known to use mine at the state store every few weeks, and I never had issues, either. 

During this same time frame I paid off a firearm purchase at a pawn shop as well (father's anniversary gift from my step mom) and there were no questions asked after that, either.  I was 'too stupid' to be concerned back then, though... LOL

Since the purchases I'm talking about were made during the period when Amex 'bucketed' folks based on the ZIP code of where they shopped, perhaps I was already 'bucketed' low to begin with... Smiley Very Happy

Did they really "bucket" people based on their zip codes?

Also, I'm still baffled by the Amex FR agent's question regarding whether or not that person made a political contribution using his Amex card. Why even ask that question if there's not more to it? Is a political contribution viewed differently somehow by Amex compared to, say, a Red Cross donation?

Message 10 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.