Did you mean: 

American Express AA Due to Transaction Type

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: American Express AA Due to Transaction Type

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I've never used mine to pay off a car, however "back in the day" I was known to use mine at the state store every few weeks, and I never had issues, either. 

During this same time frame I paid off a firearm purchase at a pawn shop as well (father's anniversary gift from my step mom) and there were no questions asked after that, either.  I was 'too stupid' to be concerned back then, though... LOL

Since the purchases I'm talking about were made during the period when Amex 'bucketed' folks based on the ZIP code of where they shopped, perhaps I was already 'bucketed' low to begin with... Smiley Very Happy

Did they really "bucket" people based on their zip codes?

Also, I'm still baffled by the Amex FR agent's question regarding whether or not that person made a political contribution using his Amex card. Why even ask that question if there's not more to it? Is a political contribution viewed differently somehow by Amex compared to, say, a Red Cross donation?

Yep, it was actually a pretty big deal in the news when it first came out.  Here's one link dating back to 2008:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27055285/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/t/amex-rates-credit-risk-where-you-live-shop/

Supposedly they no longer do this, but as to if they actually really stopped, you're guess is as good as mine.

(You can do a Google search for many other news stories about this, but for brevity I only provided the one link)

Message 11 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is "bucket" people?
Message 12 of 54
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Also, as far as I know they still take into account your billing ZIP code as one factor to determine your credit worthiness even now, which some might argue is an acceptable practice.  I haven't made up my mind yet.

What made the old practice so despicable is that it literally penalized folks for shopping in less affluent areas of town, regardless of their own means... again, supposedly they stopped the practice, but it's a shame they ever started it.

Message 13 of 54
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
What is "bucket" people?

'Bucketed' means put into a category. 

For example, someone with a billing address in the ZIP code 90210 might be treated a little differently than somebody with a billing ZIP code in rural Mississippi when it comes to getting approval for a transaction that is outside the normal spending patterns. 

Message 14 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

So... If I change my billing address to my work, which is in slightly better neighborhood than my home address, I might be able to get better card from Amex?
No wonder my coworker forwarded her credit card to work. 😆
Message 15 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

And you might get an even better card if you change your financial information to indicate you're an employee of Capital OneSmiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm actually moving to a different state next month. Having worked in credit, I seldom see the type of high credit lines from where we are moving to, like folks around here have. Seriously, I've seen lots and lots of 5 digit credit lines here, but mostly low 4 digit lines out of there, if not in the hundreds. It's northern California, btw. I wonder if I should be concerned?

Message 17 of 54
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
So... If I change my billing address to my work, which is in slightly better neighborhood than my home address, I might be able to get better card from Amex?
No wonder my coworker forwarded her credit card to work.😆

LOL... if it were that easy, I would have done that years ago!

Seriously, you might not get any better 'deals', but they use it as, quote, "...one of the factors" along with likely dozens of other things when determining when to do an FR, take AA, question purchases outside your normal spending patterns, etc.

My billing ZIP code is rather modest, but just 30 miles away is the "wealthiest" ZIP in my state, which is why a few years ago when they would take AA on folks based on where they shopped it was so bad.  If somebody from the 'good' side of town went 'slumming' in my neighborhood to do some shopping, Amex would have taken notice... LOL.

Thankfully they got called out for it.

Message 18 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may be wrong here...but i truly believe Amex still "profiles" transactions.  For example...

1. Where are u using your card (walmart, kmart, McDonalds, etc)

2. How much is your charge (are u charging small amounts...intimating that you do not have sufficient cash to pay for nominal transactions)

3. Where do you live (zip code, demographics, etc)

4. Frequency (How many times are you charging instead of paying cash or using other credit means)

I think Amex gets spooked by these things..leading you up to a possible FR.  Just my 2 cents

Message 19 of 54
onstar
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Also, as far as I know they still take into account your billing ZIP code as one factor to determine your credit worthiness even now, which some might argue is an acceptable practice.  I haven't made up my mind yet.

What made the old practice so despicable is that it literally penalized folks for shopping in less affluent areas of town, regardless of their own means... again, supposedly they stopped the practice, but it's a shame they ever started it.

Yeah, I have no problem with ZIP and where you shop and whatever. Keeping in mind that each of these factors are all just one factor among dozens to determine credit worthiness. The actuaries will use every bit of data if they see correlation.

Auto insurance works similarly. They bucket by ZIP (home & work), distance from work to home, sex, age, years licensed, driving record, number of at fault accidents (sometimes number of accidents regardless of fault), college graduate or not, what major in college, marital status, credit score (in some states), etc. Point being, actuaries will use just about everything to see if there is any pattern. With actuarial work, pretty much everything is legal as long as data can support it. For example, they can absolutely discriminate based on gender. In some ZIP, men have higher insurance rates than women; in some other ZIP, women have higher insurance rates than men. And they can discriminate based on age. Rates typically drop until you get to a certain age, then it can go up. I don't see why credit cards should work differently.

It's not like they're pulling a "Kardashian Kard" and exploiting people. The actuaries at Amex (and whatever other banks that do this) are merely doing their due diligence and giving proper credit based on data.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 20 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.