Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express AA Due to Transaction Type

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: American Express AA Due to Transaction Type

Im not saying just because I haven't gotten AA no one will. Of course it does happen. But the fear and paranoia about AA when you are making rudimentary purchases is a bit overblown IMO
Message 41 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Do you think AmEx would AA for paying through Plastiq?

No

Message 42 of 54
redbeard
Frequent Contributor

Personally, I think AMEX tracks where you shop and what you so they can look for patterns and then things 'outside' of that pattern trigger potential further review.

If I normally shop at a Walmart in MS and then suddenly I'm shopping at SAX in New York, that could (and should) trigger a flag that I'm out of my pattern.  Same the other way around, if I normally shop at Macy's in Time Square and then I'm suddenly shopping at target in Oklahoma (for significant $$$), that should trigger a flag as well.

I used to use my Amex around the world, I would have been hard to bucket, I thought.  Then I drove across country and bought gas at a few places, which I never did on my Amex previously and when I went to check into the hotel, my card was shut off.  I had to call Amex, I was outside of my pattern.  Not a big deal, once I confirmed it was me charging the gas, they turned my card back on.

Nowadays, I put gas on my Amex frequently, no issues at all.  I'm in a different bucket.  Of course a charge in Germany should trigger a problem now.

Dan

Just trying to get my scores to rise from the dead......

Wait.... I think I just heard a heartbeat!

Message 43 of 54
onstar
Established Contributor

@redbeard wrote:

Personally, I think AMEX tracks where you shop and what you so they can look for patterns and then things 'outside' of that pattern trigger potential further review.

If I normally shop at a Walmart in MS and then suddenly I'm shopping at SAX in New York, that could (and should) trigger a flag that I'm out of my pattern.  Same the other way around, if I normally shop at Macy's in Time Square and then I'm suddenly shopping at target in Oklahoma (for significant $$$), that should trigger a flag as well.

I used to use my Amex around the world, I would have been hard to bucket, I thought.  Then I drove across country and bought gas at a few places, which I never did on my Amex previously and when I went to check into the hotel, my card was shut off.  I had to call Amex, I was outside of my pattern.  Not a big deal, once I confirmed it was me charging the gas, they turned my card back on.

Nowadays, I put gas on my Amex frequently, no issues at all.  I'm in a different bucket.  Of course a charge in Germany should trigger a problem now.

Dan

I think all (responsible) banks do this. Amex is just really good at it. Their algorithm is superior! Smiley Happy

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 44 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

UncleB which thread did someone discuss the CSR asking about a political contribution? 

Message 45 of 54
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

UncleB which thread did someone discuss the CSR asking about a political contribution? 

It was a thread from the weekend, and got shut down by the moderators.  I will not link to it here.  The OP from that thread came back on a different thread last night after he was able to speak with his account manager and gave an update.

FWIW, the "political contribution" he mentioned wasn't some $20 phone-in donation... it was a contribution for a meal, which while he wasn't specific, they are generally significantly more than $20, which made me think there might be something to it.

To everybody else (Not Irish80)... please don't start speculating as to the honesty of the other poster's situation with Amex; it's OK for you to 'think' it, just don't express it here.  It goes against the TOS (Friendly, Respectful, Supportive) and got the other thread shut down.  I enjoy getting everybody's feedback, and would prefer to continue to do so.

I'm especially interested in hearing from other folks who may have personal experience with Amex taking action based on how/where they use their card.

Message 46 of 54
yfan
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@peaceonearth wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Has anybody else ever heard of American Express taking AA against somebody based on what they used their card to purchase?

Could be donution?

I wonder about that as well, but here's the thing about donations... the person getting the donation has to have a merchant agreement either with Amex or with somebody else that has an agreement with Amex... in other words, it's a bit disingenuous for Amex to take AA on someone for making a donation, when they are seemingly OK with the person/organizaton receiving the donation.

I doubt it's the donation... I have made political contributions with my Amex cards with no problems at all.

Message 47 of 54
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@yfan wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@peaceonearth wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Has anybody else ever heard of American Express taking AA against somebody based on what they used their card to purchase?

Could be donution?

I wonder about that as well, but here's the thing about donations... the person getting the donation has to have a merchant agreement either with Amex or with somebody else that has an agreement with Amex... in other words, it's a bit disingenuous for Amex to take AA on someone for making a donation, when they are seemingly OK with the person/organizaton receiving the donation.

I doubt it's the donation... I have made political contributions with my Amex cards with no problems at all.

That's good to hear... perhaps that was just one of several things that combined together got their attention.

Message 48 of 54
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I may be wrong here...but i truly believe Amex still "profiles" transactions.  For example...

1. Where are u using your card (walmart, kmart, McDonalds, etc)

2. How much is your charge (are u charging small amounts...intimating that you do not have sufficient cash to pay for nominal transactions)

3. Where do you live (zip code, demographics, etc)

4. Frequency (How many times are you charging instead of paying cash or using other credit means)

I think Amex gets spooked by these things..leading you up to a possible FR.  Just my 2 cents

I don't know about that. I use my Amex for small transactions all the time - like to buy lunch at Safeway - and have also used it at Fast food places. Never had any issues or AA. Why would it? Amex is still getting their swyp e fees and the transactions are completely legit. Besides, Amex ED and EDP cards specifically encourage you to use your card in lots of places and even for small transactions, since a certain number of swipes inches up your rewards.

I think Amex is fine as long as your transactions are things you are actually buying to use (rather than to liquidate) and you PIF. Smiley Happy

Message 49 of 54
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I may be wrong here...but i truly believe Amex still "profiles" transactions.  For example...

1. Where are u using your card (walmart, kmart, McDonalds, etc)

2. How much is your charge (are u charging small amounts...intimating that you do not have sufficient cash to pay for nominal transactions)

3. Where do you live (zip code, demographics, etc)

4. Frequency (How many times are you charging instead of paying cash or using other credit means)

I think Amex gets spooked by these things..leading you up to a possible FR.  Just my 2 cents

I don't know about that. I use my Amex for small transactions all the time - like to buy lunch at Safeway - and have also used it at Fast food places. Never had any issues or AA. Why would it? Amex is still getting their swyp e fees and the transactions are completely legit. Besides, Amex ED and EDP cards specifically encourage you to use your card in lots of places and even for small transactions, since a certain number of swipes inches up your rewards.

I think Amex is fine as long as your transactions are things you are actually buying to use (rather than to liquidate) and you PIF. Smiley Happy

+1

I agree, as long as swipe fees are being generated, I seriously doubt any issuer is concerned about transactions being too small.  There was a whole thread just a few days back on using credit cards for small transactions... and I was there as well.  I use my cards for everything (well, except the cleaners, they ask for cash). 

Maybe years ago back when using a card was a bit more hassle (i.e. manual auth, knuckle-buster/imprinter, etc) the use of a card for small amounts might have been seen as a sign of "being broke", but these days credit is not only more convenient than cash, at most merchants it's faster as well.

Message 50 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.