Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express: APR Reduction Success

tag
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

Re: American Express: APR Reduction Success

I know these sort of forum claims can sometimes be taken as hearsay, so below is a screenshot of my updated "account details view" refreshed as of August 11, 2015.

This rate applies to my 'Everyday' Card and is not a promotional 1 year rate that others have reported getting. Keep chatting with AMEX for APR success! 

☮ & ❤
Message 41 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got my everyday card today reduced from 12.99 to 7.24.

Message 42 of 47
iCoop
Regular Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@iCoop wrote:

Was able to get my Gold Delta Skymiles card reduced to 7.49% and my BCE card reduced to 9.74% via chat yesterday. Rates are extremely low especially when compared to advertised rates for new cardholders.

This is now my target for my Delta card Smiley Happy

Have to wait for the temporary APR to expire in November, and my scores to increase still more, toward 800, but over the next year, I'll be on a mission.

Well update your target lol. Just got my Delta Gold Skymiles reduced to 6.74% and my Blue Cash Everyday card reduced to 6.99%. My target is 4.99% on both cards.

I know it will take a while for my online accounts to reflect this change but here is a snippet from the chat. Perhaps ones FICO score plays a factor in the reduction of APR's but I don't believe so. My Free AmEx FICO is showing as 770 as of June 20th while Barclay's just updated yesterday to a FICO of 788.

Untitled.jpg

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 43 of 47
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@iCoop wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@iCoop wrote:

Was able to get my Gold Delta Skymiles card reduced to 7.49% and my BCE card reduced to 9.74% via chat yesterday. Rates are extremely low especially when compared to advertised rates for new cardholders.

This is now my target for my Delta card Smiley Happy

Have to wait for the temporary APR to expire in November, and my scores to increase still more, toward 800, but over the next year, I'll be on a mission.

Well update your target lol. Just got my Delta Gold Skymiles reduced to 6.74% and my Blue Cash Everyday card reduced to 6.99%. My target is 4.99% on both cards.

I know it will take a while for my online accounts to reflect this change but here is a snippet from the chat. Perhaps ones FICO score plays a factor in the reduction of APR's but I don't believe so. My Free AmEx FICO is showing as 770 as of June 20th while Barclay's just updated yesterday to a FICO of 788.

Untitled.jpg

Congrats

Signature needs updating
Message 44 of 47
alvon123
Super Contributor

Thanks for the tip, I was able to  get my APR  lowered today  from 19.24 to 16.24 via online chat on my Hilton HHonors card !!!!

Message 45 of 47
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@WLRK11 wrote:

I chatted (IM) with AMEX yesterday about an APR reduction on my SPG card, but they denied it. The rep claimed because it's already lower than the lowest advertised APR that the computer denied the request but he was going to check with his supervisor. Apparently, the supervisor was unable to lower my APR as well. I'm actually doubting at this point whether or not the rep actually engaged his supervisor. The rep suggested to try again in six months. 

Do you think the APR decrease denial is because the SPG card is on a three-tier APR setup thus isn't variable? 

The SPG is not a fixed rate card.  My CU is fixed rate, they just started a cash advance fee (not enough folks giving them money Smiley Wink).  Big drops come when scores are 780 to 800, need 750+ to tickle Barclays.  At least, this Is what I have noticed,  APR reductions are always tied to scores.  The profiles need to have improved, such that the score is close (but not necessarily equal) to what would have qualified for that apr with cold app.

The advertised rates for AMEX SPG are: "APR on purchases will be a variable rate, currently 15.24, 17.24 or19.24%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors." 

My interest rate is lower than the 15.24% (a concession from the EO after several unsuccessful CLIs), but the card doesn't have a variable interest rate. I'm wondering if the (tier) structure has anything to do with APR reductions on the AMEX SPG and similarlly stuructured cards. 

I didn't know that APR reductions are always tied to scores. +1 

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 46 of 47
SeanFromSoCal

I just received a 3% drop to 13.99% with FICO 749, only 4mo new to Amex.  I'll try for more next month.

I'm jealous of those with thicker files and higher 700 scores and their < 8% Smiley Tongue

Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.