cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Accounts; Is their a limit on the amount of cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Accounts; Is their a limit on the amount of cards?

In July of 2012 I was approved for both the American Express Zync card and the Green Preferred Card, on 10-08-2012 I was approved for the True Earnings card and am still waiting for that in the mail.  My spending is almost 5k month and obviously I pay in full but I also pay before the statement date so as to keep my credit score utility low, below 8-4% on average.  I really want to get the Platinum Charge Card and just retire the Green and the Zync, But when I go to the American Express page to apply for the Platinum card I do not get an option of applying only option that comes up is upgrade, so I click upgrade and obviously is says I can not upgrade (probable because I only had the card for 4 months). Why wont it let me apply online? Is there a limit on how many personal cards I may procure? I know the AF is high but I plan on flying a few times this coming year and I like all the perks so the AF is not a big deal to me. My transunion score is a 721 and my Experian is 720 last time I checked on 10/3/2012 maybe be higher. I have 10 credit card/charge card accounts (including the new True Earngings CC) I only really use three or four them the rest I keep for AAOA as my credit history is not very long, also I have zero negative factors no late payments, no C/o's nothing its perfect actually. I do not want to wait 13 months to upgrade thats for sure I want this card in the next month. I would like input from people with years of American Express history and good experiences. Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express Accounts; Is their a limit on the amount of cards?

The option is there for upgrade because you already have the Green card which can be upgraded to Platinum, eventually.  You can still put in a new application for the Platinum, either by clearing your cookies and not signing in on the Amex website, using private browsing, or by applying over the phone.

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting but what do think about the amount of cards I have from them already? will it be a problem?

Message 3 of 20
SarcasticComputer
Valued Member

What did you do to see the upgrade? I'm not seeing anything, but I may not be doing what I am supposed to do. 

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, when I go to see all cards, and move the mouse over the Platinum it only says upgrade no where to apply.  But then I cleared my history and now it will let me apply or asks if I want the short application, if I select the short appplication it tells me the offer is not available to me.  But when I click apply and look at the long appplication it states I can get 25k points on conditions of the not having this product in the last 12 months which I have not, but also can not have had Zync or Green in the last 90 days. Not sure if I am in the clear since I have had Zync and Green for over 90 days now, it is slightly confusing.  But I am getting an itchy finger to apply today!

Message 5 of 20
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

call customer service and ask them if you can upgrade your green to the platinum

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ryanbush wrote:

call customer service and ask them if you can upgrade your green to the platinum

He won't be able to since he hasn't had the card for a year, end of story.  Also, OP, you aren't eligible for the signup bonus, since you have had a charge card in the past 90 days, you have one now.  You can't login and do the short application, you should probably just apply over the phone if you want the card.  The CSR may also be able to answer any questions you have.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked them last month when I first saw the upgrade. I called initially because I was not accumulating points, MRpoints, and thought I would bring it up and CSR said I have to apply.  But I am not sure if I should apply now or wait till my new T.E. card comes this week and then apply.

Message 8 of 20
adavis425
Established Contributor

I have read here that 5 is the max number of cards from AMEX so you should be good. It does sound like just a cookies issue.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.