cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Accounts; Is their a limit on the amount of cards?

tag
dac1
Established Member

Re: American Express Accounts; Is their a limit on the amount of cards?

I have been an American Express cardmember since 1987.  You can only have 3 American Express cards at one time.  I have the Gold Premier Rewards, Delta Gold Sky Miles, and Blue Cash.  I applied for the Costco True Earnings card and got a message that their policy permits you to have a maximum of 3 cards at any one time.

Message 11 of 20
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

OooOoo interesting
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 12 of 20
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

I love cookies!

Especially the ones when you go to online banking, looking for the rate on a $700k deposit.

Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@dac1 wrote:

I have been an American Express cardmember since 1987.  You can only have 3 American Express cards at one time.  I have the Gold Premier Rewards, Delta Gold Sky Miles, and Blue Cash.  I applied for the Costco True Earnings card and got a message that their policy permits you to have a maximum of 3 cards at any one time.

May I ask when you applied for the Costco TE? 

I know there are people on this forum with more personal Amex's than 3.  Maybe was a change in policy at some point?

        
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if it is an individual thing, a CSR told me yesterday there is no limit on how many cards you may procure with Amex, but you may be right. Because I have Zync, Green, and just approved last week Costco T.E. card and applied yesterday for the platinum was told my Fico Experian was too low 719, not a American express card holder long enough to establish history or something like that and too many inquiries, I do have a lot of inquiries. 

Message 15 of 20
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

I love cookies!

Especially the ones when you go to online banking, looking for the rate on a $700k deposit.

Smiley Wink

I hate quoting myself.

Sometimes the tracking that they use....well, you can use it, too.

Get it?

Message 16 of 20
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

I've seen a few threads that stated 10 AMEX cards were the max an individual can have.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 17 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@j_casteel wrote:

I've seen a few threads that stated 10 AMEX cards were the max an individual can have.

5 business / 5 personal AFAIK.

        
Message 18 of 20
dac1
Established Member

It's been a little over a year since I applied for the Costco TE card.  I haven't tried since then.

Message 19 of 20
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@dac1 wrote:

that's incorrect, my dad has 5... all personal... he has been a card member since 1987... it might have something to do with income

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.