Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Application Question

tag
Viper786
Regular Contributor

American Express Application Question

I applied for an American Express last night and got this message:

We have received your application for the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card. We were not able to process your application within 60 seconds in order to provide you with an instant decision. Once your application is processed, we will notify you of your application status by e-mail using the e-mail address you provided. 

When I go to their status page, it does not show the card I applied for, only the Zync card I applied for a couple of months ago. Did the application not go through? Because I got the same message when I applied for the Zync card and within minutes I checked the status page and it said approved.

EQ - 701 FICO - ScoreWatch (8/2016) | TU - 754 FICO - Fico 8 (8/2016) | EX - 710 Fico - Fico 8 (8/2016)
Amazon Store Card - $10,000 | Amex BCE - $2k | Barclaycard Ring - $2.5k | Capital One Platinum - $7,500 | Capital One Venture - $10,000 | Capital One VentureOne - $7500 | Chase Freedom - $3.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred - $1500 | Discover It - $4200 | Ebates Visa - $25,000 | Macy's - $1700 | Lowes - $12,000 | Walmart MasterCard - $15,000
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
DI
Super Contributor

Re: American Express Application Question

@Viper786 wrote:

I applied for an American Express last night and got this message:

We have received your application for the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card. We were not able to process your application within 60 seconds in order to provide you with an instant decision. Once your application is processed, we will notify you of your application status by e-mail using the e-mail address you provided. 

When I go to their status page, it does not show the card I applied for, only the Zync card I applied for a couple of months ago. Did the application not go through? Because I got the same message when I applied for the Zync card and within minutes I checked the status page and it said approved.

If its not showing, I doubt it went through.  You may want to call them to verify.  I recently applied for a new card with AMEX and my application is still processing.  It appears on the application status webpage. 

Message 2 of 13
Viper786
Regular Contributor

I called them and they said they don't see any application from me so I reapplied and it said:

Thank you for applying!

Your application will be processed as soon as possible, and we will notify you of the decision by mail within 14 days. 

So I checked the status and it says cancelled. Any ideas why it got cancelled?

EQ - 701 FICO - ScoreWatch (8/2016) | TU - 754 FICO - Fico 8 (8/2016) | EX - 710 Fico - Fico 8 (8/2016)
Amazon Store Card - $10,000 | Amex BCE - $2k | Barclaycard Ring - $2.5k | Capital One Platinum - $7,500 | Capital One Venture - $10,000 | Capital One VentureOne - $7500 | Chase Freedom - $3.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred - $1500 | Discover It - $4200 | Ebates Visa - $25,000 | Macy's - $1700 | Lowes - $12,000 | Walmart MasterCard - $15,000
Message 3 of 13
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

My guess is your application wasn't in their system yet, and it was cancelled as a duplicate application.  Were you speaking with new accounts department?

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 13
Viper786
Regular Contributor

I was speaking with the new accounts department and they said all they see is my Zync application.

It seems their blue sky application is a little bugged because another user had a similar problem here: 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-Recon/m-p/923780#M266200

They couldn't find his application either. Hopefully they actually did cancel it because it's a duplicate application and the original one will pop up soon.

Message 5 of 13
DI
Super Contributor

@Viper786 wrote:

I was speaking with the new accounts department and they said all they see is my Zync application.

It seems their blue sky application is a little bugged because another user had a similar problem here: 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-Recon/m-p/923780#M266200

They couldn't find his application either. Hopefully they actually did cancel it because it's a duplicate application and the original one will pop up soon.

Check your credit report to see if they pulled your report.  My report is still pending because I have a freeze on my EX report. 

Message 6 of 13
somkey10
Contributor

I app'd on the 17th.  Had the same problem. Website was a bit buggy.  I got a notice sayng to call them but had to go to work.  I thought perhaps I was going to be denied.

What I think happened was this:

I app'd and thought it didn't go through because got an error message and then app'd again.  When I got home from work there was an email saying I had been approved.  And then there was another email saying it was being processed.  When I clicked the check status link, there was one app with approval and one app that had been cancelled due to them recognizing it was a dupe.

HTH

6/09: 550's
MyFico Start date 3/10: EQ:632 - TU:655
2/11: EQ:678 - TU:707
5/11 EQ:715- TU:724

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 13
DJH87
Established Member

asaRe: American Express Application Question

Has it been over 60 days since you apped for the Zync card? Amex will cancel any subsequent applications placed within 60 days of the most recent application.

You may have to wait until exactly more than 60 days have passed, if my memory serves me correctly! Good luck, Amex is a great card. I barely made it (Fico 680 with several baddies) with a Delta Skymiles card and I am waiting a year to have an established relationship before I app for two more cards. I love Amex and the backdating is great.

Message 8 of 13
Viper786
Regular Contributor

Re: asaRe: American Express Application Question

I figured that since it had been less than 60 days from when I applied for the Zync card, they cancelled the application.

Today I got an email thanking me for applying and to check my application status. When I check it, the original card I applied for on the 19th, (that was originally cancelled) is now "In Progress" and says:

We will notify you once your application has been processed, or if we need additional information. If you wish to view an electronic communication of your decision details once we have made a decision, click here

According to my Experian credit report (which they pulled for my Zync card in April) they did not do another hard inquiry. 

Any idea what's going on now?

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: asaRe: American Express Application Question

"In Progress" is a little bit deceiving. It makes it sound like they are sitting around looking at the application and deciding what to do. What it really means is that it is in line and hasnt been looked at yet. Once the application makes it to the front of the line they will pull the hard and make a decision. You can call them up and they will be able to tell you about when your application is ready to go through.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.