Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Approvals!

tag
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

American Express Approvals!

Having tweaked my credit profile over a period of six months (I really didnt need to do any rebuilding) it was finally time to app for the credit products I wanted so on Friday I applied and was approved for the following:

Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express
Blue Cash PreferredSM from American Express

All were instant approvals and give me the purchasing power I was looking for, I also successfully PC'd both my Chase Flexible Rewards cards to Chase Freedom about a month a go.   Therefore my current profile is as follows:

AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card
AMEX Blue Cash Preferred
Discover More
Chase Freedom
Chase Freedom
Citi Sears Card
JCPenney Rewards Gold Credit Card
FIA Mastercard
Barclaycard

My scores at the time of the App were 783 (EQ) and 770 (TU).  I`m hoping to get my EX score in the mail as a result of my applications. Still a little work to do (I need to fix my generic FIA Mastercard) but getting nearer to my goals!

Thanks for all the feedback and help from Members of this forum, your input was INVALUABLE!

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Approvals!

Congrats on your new cards!
Message 2 of 19
TVZ

Why didn't you apply for the platinum & what was your score prior to deciding to apply. I'm in the 750"s & I'm thinking of applying to Amex or patiently wait a little more

527: 527
755: 755
800: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 19
chnceit
Valued Contributor

I app'd for the AMEX Blue and was approved, but I really want the Blue Cash!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 4 of 19
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Big Congrats on the results and approvals CM! Smiley Very Happy    And AWESOME scores! 

I wanted (ok, still do lol) and app'd  the AMEX BCE, no go (AF for BCP didn't seem worth it for myself). Very happy to be approved for Discover More for 6500 the day after that attempt however (helped numb the feeling of rejection from AMEX LOL).  Also NFCU for about half the More today (yes, I saw the 0% thing and fell for "pre-selected" on my account page).

I'd say that's some very impressive "tweaking" you've accomplished!  Smiley Wink

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 5 of 19
IowaGuy
Contributor

Nice scores and cards!

Why have so many rewards cards? Sign on bonuses I assume?

The 2 amex cards compete for the same purchase types, food, gas, and they both offer the 1 year extended warranty.
700 Club
Amex Gold PR, Main card, Role: rewards
Chase Amazon Visa, Role: Amex backup
Pen Fed Promise, Role: low APR, balances
Amazon Store Card, Role: 0% financing
Message 6 of 19
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Big Congrats on the results and approvals CM! Smiley Very Happy    And AWESOME scores! 

I wanted (ok, still do lol) and app'd  the AMEX BCE, no go (AF for BCP didn't seem worth it for myself). Very happy to be approved for Discover More for 6500 the day after that attempt however (helped numb the feeling of rejection from AMEX LOL).  Also NFCU for about half the More today (yes, I saw the 0% thing and fell for "pre-selected" on my account page).

I'd say that's some very impressive "tweaking" you've accomplished!  Smiley Wink

Thanks RyVision!! It's been three months since the approvals and I`m interested to see if my PIF Discover card will get an auto CLI (Usually Discover will consider auto CLI at either 3 or 6 months w/o HP).  There is evidence to support the fact that applying for an Amex charge card first, followed by a revolver such as Blue Cash will give you a better chance at approval, do you have an Amex charge product at all?  As you see I did PRG first, followed by the BCP a few minutes later for the 1 inquiry discount Smiley Wink  IMHO you are definately on the right track and you are definately applying for products which will grow with you and as I said in the other thread $6500.00 is a very respectable CL for Discover (Just take a look at the Creditpulls Database!).

Yes, luckly in my situation all I really needed to do was tweak my score, almost exclusively by lowering my utilization (1%), I had only one single 30 day late from about 2.5 years a go at the time, so all my approvals were instant.   Once the new apps hit my report I took a hit from the new accounts, however my EX is now back up to 786 (FICO) and since my app I have had 2 inquries drop over, leaving me with a single Amex inquiry from september, positioning me well for other products next year.

Message 7 of 19
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

@IowaGuy wrote:
Nice scores and cards!

Why have so many rewards cards? Sign on bonuses I assume?

The 2 amex cards compete for the same purchase types, food, gas, and they both offer the 1 year extended warranty.

Thanks LowaGuy. There was actually a method to my madness. Applying for the Amex PRG was part of my strategy to get approved for the easiest product first (i.e.; a charge card) before applying for their revolver.  Secondly, I wanted the Amex PRG to replace my debit card which at the time I was spending $2500.00/mo on with no rewards.  The PRG has become my everyday spend card, except for gas and groceries with are billed to BCP for the 3% and 6% cash back.  The exception to that is I use Discover and Freedom for the 5% categories (mostly gas and groceries) so during those months I don’t spend as heavily on the BCP and move my spend back when the 5% ends (Remember that up until recently Discover had a $300 cap for all rotating categories so I was spending the $300 and moving my spend to Freedom which had a $1500 cap).  The Freedom cards were both PC'd from other Chase Products. 

Message 8 of 19
CS800
Super Contributor

@CreditMuppet wrote:
Having tweaked my credit profile over a period of six months (I really didnt need to do any rebuilding) it was finally time to app for the credit products I wanted so on Friday I applied and was approved for the following:

Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express
Blue Cash PreferredSM from American Express

All were instant approvals and give me the purchasing power I was looking for, I also successfully PC'd both my Chase Flexible Rewards cards to Chase Freedom about a month a go.   Therefore my current profile is as follows:

AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card
AMEX Blue Cash Preferred
Discover More
Chase Freedom
Chase Freedom
Citi Sears Card
JCPenney Rewards Gold Credit Card
FIA Mastercard
Barclaycard

My scores at the time of the App were 783 (EQ) and 770 (TU).  I`m hoping to get my EX score in the mail as a result of my applications. Still a little work to do (I need to fix my generic FIA Mastercard) but getting nearer to my goals!

Thanks for all the feedback and help from Members of this forum, your input was INVALUABLE!

Congrats on the approval and a nice CL from Discover

I saw that you have two Freedoms? Why two?

Message 9 of 19
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

Both were Chase Flexible Rewards cards that I PC'd to Freedom which has a better rewards structure, although there are other Chase Products that I would like to obtain in the future, I dont want to get them via PC which will not qualify for bonuses.  I also want to always ensure I get the best terms possible (not based on other older chase products), lastly with two Freedom's I can transfer rewards points between both accounts and it also gives me a $3000 cap on my 5% rotating catagories.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.