Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Authorized user

tag
zyzzus
Established Contributor

American Express Authorized user

My mother got a pre-approval in the mail from Amex for the BCE with a $250 bonus.  I told her it was a great card and I said I wish that my current credit would allow for me to get it.  She said she'd make me an authorized user...

Mom had amex a long time ago and ditched them because of AF.  I know that she will get back dated.  From what I understand I won't get backdated however they will report to credit bureaus for me?  Also would this 'get my foot in the door' with Amex so if I apply for a card of my own I would be able to backdate to when I was added as AU?

Capital One Quicksilver- $5,400 | Chase Freedom - $8,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited- $13,000 | Chase Amazon -$5,000 | Priceline Visa -$10,000 | US Bank Cash+ - $18,200 | Fidelity Visa -$10,000 | Sallie Mae- $10,000  | DCU Platinum $12,000 | Discover IT - $10,000 | Amex EveryDay - $25,000  | Amex BlueCash Everyday- $9,800 | Citi DoubleCash - $18,000 | Sapphire Preferred- $13,000 Freedom Unlimited$7,000 Blispay$12,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve- $18,000 | Consumers Credit Union Visa Sig Cash Rebate$25,000

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: American Express Authorized user

If you are added as an au, it will definitely get your foot in the door and help you out with backdating future Amex cards. My husband was added to mine in march and it reports to the bureau and I think he can be backdated to 2012 for life! (Unless Amex changes their backdating policies)
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 4
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

AMEX internal policy (if you ask one of its supervisor) is to not backdate on AU. BUT a lot of people sliped through the crack and get backdated.

You have a good chance to get backdated, but not "get your feet in AMEX" because you have no payment history with AMEX.

Message 3 of 4
distantarray
Established Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

AMEX internal policy (if you ask one of its supervisor) is to not backdate on AU. BUT a lot of people sliped through the crack and get backdated.

You have a good chance to get backdated, but not "get your feet in AMEX" because you have no payment history with AMEX.

technically he could have a payment history with Amex since he gets his own account number and own billing statements for his use of the card, that can help build faith in his ability to manage his credit. I did this with my dad's Chase Sapphire card for 3 months, I was the only one who pretty much used it after the first two weeks (card he got before vacation) and I used that to my benefit to talk them into getting me a Freedom card immediately after I was instantly approved for a Sapphire myself.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.