cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express BCE New App CLI Recon?

tag
Milkey

American Express BCE New App CLI Recon?

I applied for AmExp BCE online. (After my BK finally fell off my CRs 12/1/12, my Experian FICO shot up to 790, now clean history).

AmEx responded that more consideration was required and I would receive a response in approx 7-14 days, don't recall exactly. Thought I was denied, but received an email a few days later that my App was approved!

Just received the card yesterday. My CL is only $2,000. Is this typical?

Any idea if it would be worthwhile to call the new accounts # to ask for RECON for a higher CLI? They listed my Experian FICO as 790. I have no history with AmEx, but have an Orchard MC $2,750 and Alliance CU Visa $10,000 - no/minimal balance (I pay them off each month). No other debt. I have secure employment, almost 30 years with the same employer and significant savings. I can't believe my initial BCE CL is only $2K, I thought at least $5K would have been more reasonable.

Any insights or suggestions?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
isoldmyatlas
Frequent Contributor

Re: American Express BCE New App CLI Recon?

The Orchard card may have made them nervous.  Don't forget, you can ask for a CLI up to 3x your current limit 61 days after you activate the card, and the same again 6 months later.

TU: 793 (6/13/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 788 (6/15/18)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $40,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Citi Home Depot $8,000 (06/2018)
Message 2 of 20
Milkey

I've had the Orchard MC since 2006 and Alliant CU Visa since 2009. I was hoping to make the AmEx BCE my go to card and not have to manage the reporting balance so closely, but with a $2K CL I'd definitely have to manage it closely. I've worked so hard to rebuild my credit after a divorce and my ex drove us into BK. Thought I was finally free of it. My TU FICO is over 800 now. I thought a $5K CL would have been a no brainer. If I have to wait I will, obviously lol, but was wondering if anyone had experience with getting their initial CLI bumped up immediately. For example, my initial CL with Alliant was low but upon speaking with them personally they were able to increase it to $3K immediately. I guess it won't hurt to try with AmEx too.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't waste your time.  

Started with $2,000 in Aug of 11, and as of my most recent CLI, I was offered $17,200.  Take the $2,000, be happy and increase it as it grows with you.

Message 4 of 20
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Amex will grow like crazy. If you can wait 61 days... You could go to $6,000! Then six months later, go to $18,000
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 20
Milkey

FYI in case anyone is interested, I called AmEx new accounts number today and reached a rep in India. I only mention this because in my experience I have found that reps in U.S. call centers tend to have more discretion for decision making. Anyway, I requested RECON of my initial CL. She replied that the CL is system generated based on several factors they cannot disclose. She advised that I should apply for a CL increase after 60 days (thus the 61 days others have referenced here). But there is no process possible to get a manual RECON of an initial CL.

Message 6 of 20
danmfe
Established Member

I just applied online for BCE tonight and immediately got further review 7-14 day notice.  Literally within 3 minutes of app'ing,  got an email  "Congrats! You're approved!" 

Only given $2000 CL but requested $5300 in BT on application.  Not sure how they will determine what portion they pay and to who. 

Message 7 of 20
coolerscouter

As has been said above, wait until day 61. If you treat Amex well, they'll return the favor.

Message 8 of 20
Milkey

Just an update.

My AMEX BCE was originally approved in Dec 2012 at $2,000.

At about 65 days or so I requested a CLI to $6,000 and it was approved.

A little over six months after that, just yesterday in fact, I requested a CLI to $24,000 and was approved at $18,000! Thanks everyone who contributes to the info here!

Going to request another CLI again in six months. Any thoughts on how much I should request next time? I understand that AMEX may request income verification for requests over $25,000 but no worries there, I am fortunate enough to earn a very decent income and won't be lieing about the numbers.

Message 9 of 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Milkey wrote:

Just an update.

My AMEX BCE was originally approved in Dec 2012 at $2,000.

At about 65 days or so I requested a CLI to $6,000 and it was approved.

A little over six months after that, just yesterday in fact, I requested a CLI to $24,000 and was approved at $18,000! Thanks everyone who contributes to the info here!

Going to request another CLI again in six months. Any thoughts on how much I should request next time? I understand that AMEX may request income verification for requests over $25,000 but no worries there, I am fortunate enough to earn a very decent income and won't be lieing about the numbers.

Congrats 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.