Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Backdating Business Account

tag
surehit
Regular Contributor

American Express Backdating Business Account

For American Express backdating I understand that it is no longer common (possible?) to be added as an AU on an account and have your member since date be inherited when that account was opened. I was just wondering if this was just something where it was hard to find a Rep who will do it, or is it something where it is just not possible?

My parents have an American Express business account that was opened in 2000, so if they added me as an AU on that card would it be possible to take that member since date if you got a nice enough Rep, or just no? 

AMEX Platinum Gold - NPSL | Citi ThankYou Premiere 20k | NASA Platinum Rewards - 20k | Alaska Airlines Visa Signature - 5k x 5 (Not sure why I needed 5.... but still....) | Amex Blue Cash Everyday - 21K | Chase Sapphire Preferred - 15K | Ritz Carlton Card - 10k | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - 5k | BECU Visa - 3k |Barclaycard Rewards - 2k | Chase Amazon Rewards - 1k | Discover IT Student - 500 | Chase Slate - 500 | Walmart Store Card - 700 | BBY CitiBank - 1500 | BBY CitiBank -1000

Eq (MyFico) 767 | TU (FICO) 759 | Ex (FAKO): 749
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: American Express Backdating Business Account

Amex backdating is reserved for cardmembers or additional cardmembers with a previous account. If you have never been an ACM on your parents accounts then you were not a member.
Message 2 of 10
surehit
Regular Contributor

Alright, I thought that might be it. Thanks

AMEX Platinum Gold - NPSL | Citi ThankYou Premiere 20k | NASA Platinum Rewards - 20k | Alaska Airlines Visa Signature - 5k x 5 (Not sure why I needed 5.... but still....) | Amex Blue Cash Everyday - 21K | Chase Sapphire Preferred - 15K | Ritz Carlton Card - 10k | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - 5k | BECU Visa - 3k |Barclaycard Rewards - 2k | Chase Amazon Rewards - 1k | Discover IT Student - 500 | Chase Slate - 500 | Walmart Store Card - 700 | BBY CitiBank - 1500 | BBY CitiBank -1000

Message 3 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@surehit wrote:

Alright, I thought that might be it. Thanks

There have been cases otherwise, but it is definitely against policy.  You have additional problem of business member dates not always setting personal member dates.

What is your current member date?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 10
surehit
Regular Contributor

I just got my Blue Cash Everyday card last year, so my current member since date is 2012. I'm only 19 though, so just starting out with credit. 

Message 5 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

opps no message I am seeing you said AU, is that AU on a corporate account?

Message 6 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

OP, are you trying to use your parents date of 2000 as your MSD?
Message 7 of 10
surehit
Regular Contributor

Corrent, that would be my goal. From what you said this is not possible, correct? 

Message 8 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Correct. I think the confusion was whether or not you were referring to your parents business card.
Message 9 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@surehit wrote:

Corrent, that would be my goal. From what you said this is not possible, correct? 

It is against policy and would be very difficult.  Basically would need to find rep who is senior enough and nice (i.e. lazy) enough to ignore policy which is no longer new.  Here is the problem however.  You would first need to be added as AU to your parents account which would produce a new account on your credit report with a 2013 open date.  You would then have to start the process of finding that magical rep.  If you couldn't or gave up, then you are basically stuck with new AMEX account on credit report with 2013 open date vs any cards you open with a 2012 open date.

The whole idea of the change in policy was to prevent silly situations on your credit report like people having AMEXs before they were born or in your case, when you were ten.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.