Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Backdating - Please explain

tag
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Backdating - Please explain

I had a Gold Charge card about 11-14yrs ago from Amex. I wonder if Amex still have me in their system. I used the card for less than 1yr than closed out the account. I can't seem to locate any proof on my end but curious to know if anyone here can advise me on what to do to prove to Amex I had an account with them yrs ago for backating purposes since I opened up 2 new accounts with them in the last yr.

Should I contact Amex to see if I am in their system? It was under a business name I was operating at that time. The business was eventually sold so I have no record of any paperwork that took place over 10yrs ago.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 38
tashia729
Valued Member

@tashia729 wrote:

Ok, so I just got off of the phone with AmEx.  The customer service rep put in the request.  The only date she could definitively verify was the 2008 date that I mentioned in my original post.  She asked the dates of the very first card I had in my own name, I told her it was somewhere around 1989-1991 because I was in college.  She indicated that they would do a search based on the dates.  Even if they can't verify the date of my very first account, I would get a new card with at least the '08 backdate.  She said I should hear something within 7-9 business days, so I will keep my fingers crossed and update when I hear something!  I am hoping for the college backdate years or at the very least, the corporate backdate of 2002.

If there is any possibility of you finding any documentation regarding your Amex from college years. Amex can use that information to backdate aswell.

UPDATE:  I just logged on to my online account and it now states, "member since 1989" - this is FANTASTIC!!  I assume that they used my SS# to find me in the system because I had NOTHING ELSE to verify my previous membership status.  I called the phone number on the back of the card.  I will check my credit report within the next few weeks to see what age this account shows.  While the myfico reports show my credit history as 21 yrs, the average age of my accounts is 5 yrs (which reflects when I began to start apping for new credit as part of my credit cleanup process).  I mistakenly closed out a Sears card back in 2010 that was opened back in 1990 (I was pissed when they CLD me), but at least that history is still there for several more years.

Many thanks to all who responded to my question.  This is only the second question I have posted since discovering this website, and again I have received valuable advice that has worked!  TNTEXANS72  - I would assume that they could find you by your SS# or EIN that was associated with the opening of your account.

Message 22 of 38
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Big Congrats Tashia729;

Welcome to the AMEX backdating family, as well as to my original MS year Smiley Wink

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 23 of 38
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@tntexans72 wrote:

I had a Gold Charge card about 11-14yrs ago from Amex. I wonder if Amex still have me in their system. I used the card for less than 1yr than closed out the account. I can't seem to locate any proof on my end but curious to know if anyone here can advise me on what to do to prove to Amex I had an account with them yrs ago for backating purposes since I opened up 2 new accounts with them in the last yr.

Should I contact Amex to see if I am in their system? It was under a business name I was operating at that time. The business was eventually sold so I have no record of any paperwork that took place over 10yrs ago.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks Smiley Happy

If it was under your personal SS# it shouldn't be a problem.  If not, you'd need to know and probably have proof of the tax ID# associated with the AMEX acct.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 24 of 38
tashia729
Valued Member

Thanks RyVision!  Very happy that some of the hardwork of credit repair is paying off!Smiley Very Happy  Yes, 1989 was a very good year!!

Message 25 of 38
Open123
Super Contributor

Congrats!

AmEx backdating is the best!  Every new card adds on 20+ years of age.  Great to use when balancing out new apps for bonuses.

Message 26 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

It can be a process sometimes lol

Message 27 of 38
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

Is the reason why they'll backdate a corporate card member, but not an additional card member because the corporate card member is responsible for the the account should anything go wrong, whereas the AU is not? 

Scores: EX: 793 EQ: 804 TU: 801
Message 28 of 38
tashia729
Valued Member

UPDATE # 2:  Just pulled new reports from TU and EQ and saw that they both are reflecting my AM EX account as being opened in 1989 - so AM EX updates fairly quickly, which is good  news.  Thanks agin for all of the advice!

Message 29 of 38
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@tashia729 wrote:

UPDATE # 2:  Just pulled new reports from TU and EQ and saw that they both are reflecting my AM EX account as being opened in 1989 - so AM EX updates fairly quickly, which is good  news.  Thanks agin for all of the advice!

When were you approved for the cc? (Your new one-- not from 89) People have posted here that it takes a couple of months for a new amex to show on CRs -- that's why I'm wondering.
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.