Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Bill Pay

tag
elegia
New Contributor

American Express Bill Pay

I recently opened my first Amex account (BCP) and I'm having trouble paying my bill. I was planning on paying off the balance whenever it hit 10% util so as to make sure to keep a low balance when the statement cut. This card has gotten a LOT of use in the short time I've had it. I got my 10% alert about a week ago, and even though this included pending charges that hadn't posted yet, I paid the balance that showed at the time (about 3/4 of the total charges) and it cleared the bank just fine, etc. Since then the pending charges have posted and I've accumulated more in the meantime, so I hit 10% again. However, Amex won't let me make another online payment until the statement cuts - something about having to wait 30 days after adding or updating bank account information. I did some research online and people said that you could get around this by paying through your bank's Bill Pay. I called Amex to confirm this, and the rep said that it has caused problems and that it might reject the payment and create a bounced check alert. Obviously, I don't want that to happen, but I also would like to be able to pay down my balance for now. Does anyone have any experience or insight into this issue?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: American Express Bill Pay

You can call them or live chat and have them pull the pyt for you. I've never heard of the issue with a bounced check
Message 2 of 7
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

I was told the same thing-representative advice me to send it via bill pay through my bank. However, it hasn't posted to my Amex account yet even though it been deducted from my bank. I think the bill pay says it can take 5 days to post.
My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 3 of 7
elegia
New Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
You can call them or live chat and have them pull the pyt for you. I've never heard of the issue with a bounced check

Maybe I got a weird rep, but when I spoke to her on the phone asking if there was ANY way to pay off my balance before the statement cut - via phone, bill pay, etc. - she said no. She was very wish-washy on the subject, though.

@Uppingmyscore wrote:
I was told the same thing-representative advice me to send it via bill pay through my bank. However, it hasn't posted to my Amex account yet even though it been deducted from my bank. I think the bill pay says it can take 5 days to post.

Hm, but I asked the rep if my bank's bill pay would work and that's when she started hemming and hawing and talking about bounced checks and so forth.

Message 4 of 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

When i first got my BCP after making an big purchase on it , i used my banks bill pay to pay the bill , and i had no issues. Obviously ymmv. I haven't ever had any problems using bank bill pay to pay off credit cards early before your first statement posts.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 7
elegia
New Contributor

Okay, got the online chat to work for the first time in about 100 tries and got some things clarified. During the 30-day period following any bank account changes, you can only make one online payment from any bank account every 7 days. She also assured me that using my bank's Bill Pay should work with no problems.

Message 6 of 7
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

@elegia wrote:

Okay, got the online chat to work for the first time in about 100 tries and got some things clarified. During the 30-day period following any bank account changes, you can only make one online payment from any bank account every 7 days. She also assured me that using my bank's Bill Pay should work with no problems.

I can confirm this.  Just got my BCE a few weeks ago.  Statement closes tomorrow so I wanted to get a the balance paid down some before it closes.  Made a payment through my bank's Bill Payer and it went through just fine.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.