cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Blue Cash first purchase Starbucks' online store or gas station?

tag
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

Re: American Express Blue Cash first purchase Starbucks' online store or gas station?

I'm surprised that it seems many of you have never heard of this.  It's been posted in articles on different credit boards and blogs for well over two years.    Here's a blog link below that discusses it, along with other interesting info.  There's also a link in the article to a huge, detailed thread on CreditBoards from May 2007.  This is very real and should be considered if you're interested in maximizing your credit relationship with banks like Amex, etc...  Cheers.

CreditMatters Article

Edit to add: This isn't just an Amex THANG....other big banks use this as well.  

Message Edited by TangMeister on 12-17-2009 07:37 PM
Message 11 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: American Express Blue Cash first purchase Starbucks' online store or gas station?

oh I have heard about it, but it doesn't make it any less silly. If I want some Martinis, I'm going to charge them to my amex and not worry about it!
Message 12 of 14
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

My first Amex purchase was made online for cigaretts.  Never got them (guess the boat sank), and had to ask Amex to refund . . . which they did.

Never affected my relationship with them.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the end, I'm guessing it didn't matter.  I bought a TV for my first purchase from a location that is not in the best of neighbourhoods and has rent to own (so likely on Amex's list of questionable places/neighbourhoods).   The TV was 25% cheaper than BB and Circuit City had at the time and Amex increased the warranty.  I haven't had any issues with CLD or anything.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.