Regular Contributor

American Express Blue Cash first purchase Starbucks' online store or gas station?

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (almost into Canada). The nearest Starbucks is over 100 miles away. There aren't any 'nice' restaurants around here. I am wondering if I should make my first purchase online at starbucksstore.com, or if I should make the first purchase at a family run gas station, or the world famous Shell gas station.

FICO® TU: 773 4/09/2012, EQ: 772 2/27/2012, EX: 762 1/3/2009, EX: PLUS Score® 776 11/07/10, Canadian FICO® EQ: 792 7/16/2010, TU FAKO: 834 12/1/2010.
Epic Contributor

Re: American Express Blue Cash first purchase Starbucks' online store or gas station?

Don't think it matters to the slightest
Fico Scores: EQ- 662., TU 684 Barclay, EX 700 (3/21/15)

You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
72 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Senior Contributor

Re: American Express Blue Cash first purchase Starbucks' online store or gas station?

You could always drive across the border & get your Rx filled....win-win situation!  (talk about a money saver!! )

Starting Score: 02/2015 TU 709 - EQ 676 - EX 729
Current Score: 02/2015 TU 709 - EQ 676 - EX 729
Goal Score: 850

Bury me in the garden...last app 12.19.14

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

mazinaige wrote:
I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (almost into Canada). The nearest Starbucks is over 100 miles away. There aren't any 'nice' restaurants around here. I am wondering if I should make my first purchase online at starbucksstore.com, or if I should make the first purchase at a family run gas station, or the world famous Shell gas station.

Amex's first purchase modeling is very real and should be taken serious if you take your credit future with them serious, so it's good that you're asking.

I would avoid anything online as your first purchase.  Fuel stations are iffy.  A good bet is to make your first purchase at any restaurant that doesn't fall into the "golden arches in the front" category.  Any mom/pop diner or restaurant will do.  Congrats on the Blue Cash!

Message Edited by TangMeister on 12-17-2009 11:40 AM
Valued Contributor

TangMeister wrote:

Amex's first purchase modeling is very real and should be taken serious if you take your credit future with them serious, so it's good that you're asking.

I would avoid anything online as your first purchase.  Fuel stations are iffy.  A good bet is to make your first purchase at any restaurant that doesn't fall into the "golden arches in the front" category.  Any mom/pop diner or restaurant will do.  Congrats on the Blue Cash!

Is this a joke?

Regular Contributor

LynetteM wrote:

TangMeister wrote:

Is this a joke?

I hope so and if not this just reminded me why my Amex card gets no luvin'. What a trivial concept to base anything about customers on! 

Regular Contributor

Ohhh Ohhh LOL I used my AMEX Gold at "The Golden Arches" a bunch of times. Am I in trouble?:smileywink:

JK I could care less I do it for convinience if it ever would cause a problem I would give my business to someone else.................Discover is in the background waiting.

NO SIGNATURE FOR ME
Valued Contributor

LynetteM wrote:

TangMeister wrote:

Is this a joke?

NOPE!

Epic Contributor

haha I laugh out loud about first purchase really mattering. If it does I don't care, if it doesn't I don't care, it's a credit card and I'm going to use it where I need it and if it doesn't like that, I will use a different one.
Fico Scores: EQ- 662., TU 684 Barclay, EX 700 (3/21/15)

You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
72 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

So is Citi going to look at me funny because I went to Stop and Shop and used my Citi Forward card for its first purchase last month? Oh man I should

have went to an over priced high end organic grocery store.

************Now that I think of it when I first got my Amex the first purchase was probably at a McDonalds. A Month later automatic CLI of $500 dollars
Message Edited by amp0804 on 12-17-2009 04:35 PM
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.