cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Blue--I found this interesting...

tag
Lance66
Established Member

American Express Blue--I found this interesting...

Hi... probably the last thing we need is another American Express
thread...ha..ha :-)

So, I was looking at my Experian credit report last night as I had requested
an investigation to remove an erroneous entry and as I got to the bottom
of it, they note all the soft inquiries and American Express has softed me
every two months.  Now, I know they check up on people all the time because
I have read all the entries on this board (by the way, I have learned so much
from you all and I love this board and have benefited from it in many ways), but
this account belongs to my mother and I am just an authorized user on it.
I found it interesting that they check up on the authorized user as well.  I
hadn't realized they did that.  Interesting animal, American Express.

Just thought I would share this informaton as I hadn't seen it posted before.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: American Express Blue--I found this interesting...

Yes, Amex is very nosy.
Message 2 of 7
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Given how often they soft me, I'm surprised they didn't soft you more.

I wonder if Amex would cancel out an AU if they saw something they didn't like.
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

See, this is what worries me... I'm going to add my husband as an AU when my Blue Cash arrives in the next few weeks. Everything I've read (and been advised on here) suggests that so long as he's never done AmEx wrong in the past, he'll be fine - but it does feel like just one more thing to worry about with AmEx. Not as though his 10%-13% current utility with MUCH higher available credit than me, and reasonably decent scores SHOULD give them anything to get twitchy about... but with AmEx, who knows?!?!?

Still, there's no point even having the Blue Cash unless we're both using it, so I'll just have to hope for the best!
Message 4 of 7
preci0uz
Regular Contributor

I'm soon going to have nightmares about Amex.
Message 5 of 7
Lance66
Established Member

fevmlo wrote:
See, this is what worries me... I'm going to add my husband as an AU when my Blue Cash arrives in the next few weeks. Everything I've read (and been advised on here) suggests that so long as he's never done AmEx wrong in the past, he'll be fine - but it does feel like just one more thing to worry about with AmEx. Not as though his 10%-13% current utility with MUCH higher available credit than me, and reasonably decent scores SHOULD give them anything to get twitchy about... but with AmEx, who knows?!?!?

Still, there's no point even having the Blue Cash unless we're both using it, so I'll just have to hope for the best!

I'm sure it will be fine.  It sounds like your husband has a good enough record.  I have a BK
on my file.. so.. if they haven't canceled me out (as an authorized user) over that, he should
be fine.  I haven't had any bad past dealings with Amex.  I did have a corporate card with them
once before but again, I was just an authorized user.  One of these days they may decide
they don't like me and cancel me out, but, I am not going to lose any sleep over it.  I have
a lot of other cards to take their place.   I just thought it was creepy that they were checking
up on me every two months and it wasn't even my account.  They do keep our "credit"  lives
interesting, don't they?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lance66 wrote:

They do keep our "credit" lives interesting, don't they      

You can say that again!!! Smiley Happy

I think you're right, there should be nothing to worry about - but you're also right that it's creepy they spend so much time softing an AU when the AU's credit profile is supposedly of much less concern to them. What exactly are they looking at/for?!??! Weird. Still, I suppose 'every two months' is 'very rarely indeed' as far as AmEx are concerned, if they really soft the primary cardholder every two weeks, as I've read on here before. (No idea when they've done it to me, as I no longer have the means to check up on that stuff!)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.