Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Blue -

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Blue -

I was just approved for American Express Blue - yea!!! (Instant approval on-line)

It's only a $2000 limit - but who cares. I'm so excited I had to share...Smiley Surprised

Exp: 727 (Feb 2009)

TU: 712

EQ: 699 ( I hate them)

I'm about to go on a app. spree - any suggestions?

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: American Express Blue -

mistyweather wrote:

I was just approved for American Express Blue - yea!!! (Instant approval on-line)

It's only a $2000 limit - but who cares. I'm so excited I had to share...Smiley Surprised

Yes: don't! (and congrats on the new card)

This used to be a reasonable thing to do, but nowadays AmEx (and other banks) will soft your reports over the next few months. If they suddenly see a bunch of other new credit turning up, they might think that you're in financial trouble, desperately looking for credit. This could easily lead to a CLD or outright closure.

There's no shortage of angry posts here about American Express cards being slashed or closed. By sure you're familiar with how AmEx is acting these days before you go any further.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!
Message 3 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

mistyweather wrote:

Yes: don't! (and congrats on the new card)

This used to be a reasonable thing to do, but nowadays AmEx (and other banks) will soft your reports over the next few months. If they suddenly see a bunch of other new credit turning up, they might think that you're in financial trouble, desperately looking for credit. This could easily lead to a CLD or outright closure.

There's no shortage of angry posts here about American Express cards being slashed or closed. By sure you're familiar with how AmEx is acting these days before you go any further.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Haulingthescoreup!

I needed someone to pull me back from the edge. LOL. I was so excited about the approval that everything I learned from this site momentarily blanked out of my brain. I have to remind myself that I was approved ONLY because of what I've learned from this site and credit gurus like you.

I'm going back to credit maintenance for another year.

Misty

Message 5 of 11
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Amex is crazy and I never trust them. I paid 11.5 K old charge from my company and as part of the deal they gave me Optima with $5K CL. Last month when I changed it to Clear two weeks later they did CLD to $1k. They are bunch of suckers. Keep the card but do not depend on it. "Dont leave home with Amex in your pocket"
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi concorduser -

Sorry to hear about that. Smiley Mad

I will definitely be mindful of the information that past and current Amex holders have provided. I mainly wanted the card to add to my credit mix and will will use the card s-p-a-r-i-n-g-l-y.

Message 7 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I picked up a no-fee Blue and then closed my Gold before I had to cough up the $145 annual fee. I still have my Verizon account on it, and once a month or so I use it for American Express's traditional areas: travel and leisure. For me, this translates into the occasional meal out at a good restaurant.

I'm curious to see what AmEx morphs into, so I figure that the closer I model my card usage to their original vision, the more likely it will be that this will be a useful card over the long run.

I don't take many risks going into things, and I rarely burn bridges as I leave. Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll follow your lead Hauling...
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I don't take many risks going into things, and I rarely burn bridges as I leave. Smiley Wink

I'm seriously thinking of printing the above on fancy card stock, and framing it to hang above my monitor.

Awesome statement.  

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.